when did fisherman become lower class citizens?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintechnician, Aug 22, 2008.

1. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

I have been notiiceing allot of threads with complaints in them from anglers, specifically in smaller vessels, about being run down by pleasure boaters. Then if it is reported the park officer or ranger has little concern for the angler. It seems as if the fishing community is veiwed as low life, uneducated, poor rednecks, while the pleasure boater with his $50,000 boat loaded with people blazing up and down the lake is veiwed as a good honorable member of society. I think the misconception is that the pleasure boaters bring in more revenue for these lakes and as such get better treatment from wildlife officers and anyother offical. When i belive that the fishing community not only brings more revenue with license sales, bait and tackle sales, fuel, and the many other expenses. Not only more revenue but 90% of the fisherman that i know are pretty concerned about conserving ther natural resorce so it can be enjoyed for years to come.

But this doesn't only apply to boaters, i feel that the fish community in general has gotten a bad rap and tend to be haressed more than say a jogger, or mountain bike rider. And i am not sure how this all came about, i think it has allot to dowith urban influences and television shows portraying fisherman and hunters as drunken rednecks and this is simply not true. I just feel agrivated that fishing and hunting are looked down on rather than imbraced. I belive if more kids had an outlet such as fishing that the could have someone teach them it would keep them out of trouble. but instead of picking up a pole they go out and sell crack or rob a liqour store and anglers are the bad guys? it is just extremely frustrating to see but i don't care of what people think of me i will continue to do the things i love until the day i die and i will try my damndest to instill this in my childern so hopefully it will be passed on. I hope i am not the only one who feels this way and i just needed to vent for a minute after reading a few of the recent posts

2. I agree with you Fishintech. This has been an on going problem for years. I hate to say I don't feel it will change either. I'm to the point that I don't think we can do anything about it.

The pleasure boats have every right to be on the water as we do. If the fisherman are going to try to fish in open ski areas they need to figure that there is going to be waves and live with it. The pleasure boaters need to consider the fisherman as well.

GarryS

3. i agree 100% with you! i could go on an hour long rant about those "pleasure" folks but i wont. those types that disrespect like you just mentioned only learn one way......meeting them at the ramp! :mad:

4. I see threads about low life pleasure boaters all the time, most of which I agree with, but I must be missing the ones about uncaring rangers and park officers. The ones I talk to are firmly on the side of sportsmen. Perhaps you are confusing fairness with popularity.

5. there has to be a mutual respect for others on the water---i have a 27' boat that i use for fishing so i am sympathetic to the guy in the small boat ---EXCEPT when he blatantly anchors in a main channel at the harbor entrance. I dont expect a small boat there and in many cases they can be cited for obstructing the channel ---i will back down to save swamping him with a wake, but he isnt even supposed to be there.

Ive been at the receiving end while wading for trout and had a canoe piloted by 2 ladies that didnt know which end of the paddle to use mow me over in the river.

6. LOL! I'm not seeing the problem there. I think there's a french term for that situation.

7. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I don't see it as disrespect. In many of these cases I don't think - legally - there is much an officer can do when people are being jackasses on the water but not hurting anyone.

8. The biggest part of the problem is every group has just a few bad apples. In the fishing community those few and it seems to be a very few bad apples leave their calling card behind them when they leave. What I mean by this is when you see a pile of trash on the bank or shore line with a single fishing related item in it (worm container discarded line ect) that entire pile is now seen as a fishermans. When I go fishing from a shore line I take a trash bag and pick up all the trash around where I am fishing because I find it embarrasing to be seen standing next to a pile of trash that has obvious fishermans trash in it. I am not saying that all the trash is from some one fishing in that area but to others it does look that way. I spend most of my time on Griggs and find most everyone there to be friendly and respectful. On a side note I have also found LEOs and Park Rangers to be very friendly to the fisherman and most of them fish as well (they have some really good advice on where to find the fish too).

9. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

go out and look at the causeway at mosquito lake, not too many people fishing out there are concerned about the enviroment. just remember that there are a few in every group that give the majority a bad name, thats life....

10. I'm a fisherman...

With that being said, I don't understand the attitude that pleasure boaters are supposed to cater to fishermen. When I'm on a PUBLIC lake, the boat traffic is part of the package. Unless the guy is bumping into me, he has as much right to be water skiing or throwing up a wake as I do to be drowing minnows.

Maybe I'm missing something...

11. For me it's respect for someone else's use of the water.

My use of the water has very, very little impact on a pleasure boater.

However...a pleasure boater that goes by me every two minutes pulling a tuber and swinging the boat back and forth...he has a LARGE impact on MY use of the water.

If i'm fishing main-lake structure, i deal with it. But if i'm off in a cove somewhere i think it's just rude.

12. I had 2 ladies in kayak go between me and the shore I was fishing.
    I yelled at them and the one replied her dad told her she had the right of way on the water.
    i replyed I had the right to keep casting at her

13. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

This "water rage" between fishermen and a pleasure boater resulted in at least one guy dead on Portage Lakes some 25 years ago. Drowning/hypothermia as I recall.

Buick

14. One of the biggest pitfalls in this type of discussion is too many people using too many generalities. The only people who know exactly what happened are the 2 boaters involved in the incident. After it's over, the fisherman comes here to vent while the pleasure boater goes home and kicks his dog or something. This isn't a courtroom where we get to hear all sides of the story.

On the plus side, I DO see OGF'rs keeping the ranters honest by asking critical questions such as "Were you inside the no-wake buoys", etc.

15. I've actually had a lot less problems from the pleasure boaters this year. The thing is when one of them does get close enough to bother me I look around and 90% of the time they have all this room but chose to get that close anyway. Either they are ignorant or they think it's funny which puts them in the first category.

16. I have to say that I do not agree with the originator of this thread. I treat all boat operators with respect and I respect the rules of the road. I do not see any more a holes that appear to be pleasure boaters than I see A hole fishermen blasting thru a pack of fellow fishermen. A - holes come in all sizes, color, and income level.
    I would double check your mention of pleasure boaters generating more $$.
    I also do not feel that fishermen receive a bad rap from any governmental agency VS pleasure boaters.

17. what kind of boat to you have that you can drive it on the road? must be one of those fancy ranger bass boats.

18. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Attending the planning committee meetings for the Griggs boathouse taught me about how many different groups use the same resource for different purposes.

Fishermen, rowing groups, powerboaters and canoe/kayak people all have complaints about the other groups, and the shoreline residents have complaints about most of them, too. The parks department is in the middle trying to accommodate everyone, so the rules on Griggs (and oshay) are very elaborate as to who can do what, when and where.

It's fair to say that different users have different impacts on the river and the other users. The wake boarders love Griggs because it's "like glass" but of course that stillness is gone once they stat playing, and everyone else on the water is screwed after that. Or maybe one of your favorite fishing spots happens to be in the areas that the rowers expect to have clear, which you might know nothing about until they show up.

The thing is to be polite and considerate, and keep a close eye out for developing conflicts. And, it helps to know what the rules allow. I used to paddle right up the middle of the lakes until I read the law and now I know where I'm allowed to paddle. That keeps me off the turf of the speedboats.

As others have said, there will always be rude people in every group. The littering fishermen, the coxswain yelling into a bullhorn 10 feet from shoreline residents, the rowdy powerboaters, the self-righteous paddlers who think they can go anywhere they want...

19. i think the no wake signs is a good ideal to keep the speed down i had to paid to be on the lake i had to paid for lincense to fish let them that dont paid respect me by slowing down when they pass by.