Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice...I've read the posts regarding Steelhead at "Wheatley", and though it sounds like a very long boat ride, would like to try it at least once this season (leaving from our dock in West Harbor...)-Does anyone have GPS coordinates/depths/trolling speeds they would be willing to share on where to fish around Wheatley? What time of year is best? Small or large Stinger Spoons behind dipseys, jets and/or boards? Any help would really be appreciated...many thanks -K&D

PS: (anywhere closer to West Harbor?)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pull the boat and head down to Cleveland. Great reports out of Wildwood. Was out at the 56/41 line on Saturday and went 11/15 with probably 10 other hits that were gone before we could get to the rod. Wheatley reports have been horrible all year. Any good reports in Canadian waters are from Erieau

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
K&D
as far as numbers....i'm really at a loss. there have not been a lot of good reports out of wheatley this year. fish seem to be widely scattered. Last I heard, the 00/19 was where some fish were caught. Personally, i would check the following message boards before heading over. www.skunked.ca and http://www.basshavencanada.com/swamp/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

typically from mid july till labor day is good but again, this year has been pretty poor from what I can gather. They are gettin steelhead off Erieau which is bit farther east so go figure.

It's really not a bad boat ride to wheatley if you pick a decent day. 40 miles or so each way depending on waypoint.

I run between 2.8 and 3.2 mph usually. I run bigger size stingers and even some magnums. Riggers are nice, but dipsy's work really well too. Never hurts to run a jet and inline off either side as well.
hope this helps

·
Registered
182 Posts
we tried the area boatnut was talking about near Wheatly on saturday and caught nothing but sheephead. Erieau seems to be where they are, but it's a LONG ride. We were 59 miles from west harbor when we started back. In 3-4 fter's @ 13-14 mph it's quite a trip. I was sore on Sunday!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...unfortunately trailering to Cleveland isn't an option....not sure I want to take my 12 yr old son that far, given the results recently...will continue to watch for better reports -Many thanks for the advice- K&D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
K&D.....do yourself a favor.

Evaluate the charters available for steel. Pick your time and place and drive there with your son. Enjoy the day fishin with your son on a charter vs trying to do it yourself.

jmo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
K&D we are headed to erieau on sunday for three days of steelie fishing and due to "reel naughty" perch reort from the same area we will probably try that as well. The erieau marina has a website with a daily (somewhat) report on the fishing in the area. The site takes a long time to load due to the many pictures but it is worth it. The fb coach may be right according to the reports out of wildwood state park, check the daily reports and click on the walleye option and it may be a better alternative and not too much farther to run. good luck ollie

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys.... I'll watch for erieau reports, but i think your recommendation, Bob, for a charter is probably best....Him and I have done that several times on other waters, but I guess the initial instinct is to say we can DIY on Erie..... by the time we try to force a square peg in a round hole...your recommendation makes alot of sense..many thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Perch are still in the area, just try in shallower off the range. We wont be out this weekend, but next for sure if the weather holds.

JD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts