close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's your story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintiger, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I know everyone has been here before so lets here your story about your first experience launching a boat. These stories should be real good. I'll start with my first experience.

I was fishing with Misfit and he backed the boat most of the way down the ramp then got out and let me finish backing it down into the water. It wasn't too hard. I did have a little bit of a problem getting into the water straight. Good thing no one else was there or I might have taken out another boat. Now when it came to getting the boat onto the trailer that was another story. I went and got the truck and trailer and while I was backing down the ramp I was all over the place. I was on the ramp, close to backing onto the dock. It wasn't pretty. I learned that when I notice the trailer not going straight I over correct it and then the trailer ends up going way off course the other way. Once again it is a good thing that no one else was on the ramp or I would have taken them out.

I have practiced backing the trailer up some more so I am a little more comfortable backing in. I can't wait until I am done fixing up some stuff on my boat. It will be so nice to have a little piece of heaven to myself.

Ok lets hear your story.

fishintiger

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I've had 5 different boats now and each has had its own quirks about launching, but I'll give you the best one.

My second boat was a 16' Richline. Deep-V aluminum boat that was made in 1969. This boat was HEAVY. Plus, I had rigged it inside with a casting deck, new seats, a livewell, storage compartments, etc. It was heavy and solid but it made it hard to launch. The trailer sat up pretty high and that didn't help matters either.

I was putting it in a lake up in Ontario above Erie. The bay I was trying to launch in was way down on the water level and the ramp wasn't steep anyway. I backed the truck in as far as I could go without swamping myself and the boat wasn't even trying to float. I figured that now that the bunks were wet, it may slide off a little easier so I pulled forward, thinking that I could back up, slam the brakes and jerk the boat off the trailer. I had my Dad hold the rope attached to the bow so he could keep the boat from floating away. I told him to get ready as the boat was going to be scooting off the trailer pretty quick. I guess he didn't really understand exactly how quick because when I hit the brakes, the boat shot off the trailer like a rocket, yanking the rope and pulling my dad off the dock. Granted, the water was only 3' deep at the dock, but it was a hard bottom and it was slippery, so down he went like a rock. The funniest thing about it was that the hand that had the rope in it never went below the water, like he was trying to keep it dry! He got his footing and stood up and was laughing like a fool. He said, "Well, I still have the boat!" He was wet from head to toe and was green from the slime all up his back. We dragged the boat back to the dock, parked the truck and went fishing. He dried out while we were out but still smelled like a lake that night, even after a shower. LOL

We still talk about that to this day whenever we launch my boat. I always tell him, "Remember, that boat is heavy!!!". LOL- makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

UFM82

Oh, there's been other times...

3. I really don't have no stories of my self so I'll talk about my dad. My dad couldn't back a boat to save his life. He had jackknifed his boat and put a nice hole in it before. Well since that day I have been backing his boats in the water for him and thats when I was 13. Needless to say he has sold his boat and pretty much gave up on fishing. That was 20 years ago. He's my dad and I love the guy...........Rich

4. My first Launch was at Mosquito Lake the day I picked my boat up from the dealer. Figured I'd be smart and launch at one of the "back woods" ramps and avoid the lake traffic. Got the boat launched and ran around the lake fine however I failed to notice the ramp was made of sand. Backed the car in and pulled the boat up onto the trailer perfectly. I was feeling like "ahhhh this launching stuff is a piece of cake." About the time I put the Buick into "1" to pull out the front wheels (front wheel drive) sunk into the sand until the rocker panels hit. Had a guy with a Cavaler volunteer to pull me out but I had to decline since it just didn't look like it had the power to pull my 2000 lb boat out of the water let alone the buick that was buried in the sand. Called AAA and they sent out a tow truck. After that we pretty much stayed with the concete "state ramps."

But atleast I remembered the drain plug.... :rolleyes:

Barry

5. my first time wasnt to bad. T at long lake telling me wich way to turn the wheel. the key is going slow and rember you turn oposite of the way the you want the trailer to go. i dented the bumper of my truck once b/c i jackknifed. but a little more practice and ill have it down. then winter will come and ill forget and have to re learn for next year.

j

6. i had a little 12" aluminum on a home made trailer. the wheels were so tall on the trailer that when you backed the boat down the ramp the boat stayed dry. then you had to tightrope down the toung of the trailer and shove the boat in the water. when loading you had to lift it up on the trailer and drag it up the runners. if i was with my friend mike we'd just pick it up and hand launch the thing, it was easier.

7. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I am not an expert but when getting my CDL I was taught when backing hold the steering wheel at the bottom and then when ya want the trailer to go left you turn your hand up left and so on kind of like steering the trailer. Over correcting is prob. the hardest thing not to do. I hated backing, so I don't drive anymore. lol

BIll

8. muskiehunter

muskiehunter Was that Bass 5lb?Burp!

A few years back Was Out Trollin all day and I was coming in on Ceasar's Creek 1/2 past dark..as i got closer to the boat ramp i noticed somethin big on the ramp 3/4 of the way up....some rookie with a HUGE Brand spankin new Cabin cruiser with twin outboards(way too Big for Ceaser's lake) had undone his cable and tie downs then hit the curb hard while backin up..dumped the whole rig snapped the transom right off..it was amazing.....never did see how they moved it..crane i guess..

9. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Went to Wellington lower with my dad. Gonna impress him with my boat launching skills. My bow rope was a 20 foot piece of nylon cord. Plenty strong for my little gamefisher. Dad says, "You should use something that will knot up tighter." Sure dad, okay. He holds the rope, I back down the ramp. Boat slides off the trailer and the rope unties from the cleat, there goes my boat out into the lake. Off come the shoes, wallet in the truck, keys on the tailgate. Made it up to my chin before I got the rope and tippytoed back to the ramp. Fished until I was dry and double check my cleats and rope before every trip. :rolleyes:

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

If you can do it wrong in a boat I have done it. I am so paranoid about something bad happening that I have not had any problems in the past 4 to 5 years. Always pay attention and be careful. I get a lot of practice any way. I have the boat out at least 3 times a week until hardwater.