close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's your opinion on the new Cabela's

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by riverbottoms, Dec 9, 2004.

1. I finally found the time to visit the new Cabela's store in Wheeling, after the Grand Opening Frenzy had worn off.
    I went last thurs. and found it to be a easy to find location.
    My excitement level grew as I turned off 70 onto Cabela Drive.
    Seeing the look of the new store only made me want to get my truck parked as fast as I could.
    I felt there was plenty of parking, with nice wide, well marked parking spots. A+ on the directional signs and lot lighting.
    As I walked thru the main entrance door, I thought to myself, "Oh Yeah".
    My main intention to visit the store was Ice fishing equipment and winter wear.
    I thought to myself as I headed for the Ice fishing section, looks like I'm going to do some major damage to the credit card today.
    That thought was greatly dimminished when I when I saw what little Icefishing equiptment they actually carried.
    Cripple Creek Bait & Tackle carries 3 times what Cabela's had! As for the winter wear, man what a great selection!
    But if your a "Big Butt Person" have fun trying to walk between the clothing aisles, or pushing a shopping cart! In my opinion the clothing section was too compressed for shopping comfort.
    I loved the walk thru aquariums,
    great Boot & Shoe section.
    Although I no longer hunt, I was very impressed with all the animal mounts on display.
    Warm thoughts of my Female boss entered my mind as I gazed at the Grizzily mount.
    Overall I thought the store personel to be very courtious, helpful and attentive to your needs.
    I did see some must have items, but that will have to wait until another time.
    What was your opinion of Cabela's?

2. I go there about one a month. All in all, I'd have to say I really like it. Most of the things I want they have. However, not everything in their catalog is in the store. I'm recarpeting my boat over the winter so I went to go look at the capet to help me decide what I wanted. However, the store doesn't have any carpet (other than remants in the bargain cave), glue or trowels. I had to order them from the catalog, but the kicker was that they shipped from Wheeling. Now I could have saved myself some money on shipping charges if I could have picked them up when I was there. So far I've only noticed this in the boating section. I'd rank them right up there with the BPS in Chicago. Now if they'd just start stocking Grim Reapers (Musky spinner baits) that BPS has I'd be either in heaven, broke or both. :D Your're right though parking is very good and the employees are friendly and more than helpfull.

Barry

3. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Well, last time I went I found it to be very cramped in the clothes sections...We need Spring to get back here so there aren't all those big jackets! I love the aquariums and displays of their products. It's a great store overall, but they told me it's not large enough to put all their stuff in! A lot of their items are seasonal. We were going to buy my father some frog toggs for xmas, but they won't be in until spring. So, just a heads up that the store does have a rotation. It's huge, but I couldn't imagine having everything stocked in there that they have in their catalog! :eek: It's a good time and I got some YUM craws for a good deal...Also saw a rod/reel combo that'll make a nice bday gift for myself!

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I went there once about a month ago. Like you guys said, the clothing stuff was cramped. I love the tanks and the mounts. I did not really look except for walking by, that there did not seem to be much for ice stuff. I also did not like the rod selection/set up.....I did like the fact that not every saleman there bugged me about help, but I also did not like that when I had a question, I could not seem to find one. I guess that is just part of how it goes! Overall, I liked the store to see it, but it was not a place to get a bargain. I guess if you are looking for a specific thing and they have a sale on it, then it is great.

5. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

the one thing i thought was cool was the second level, next time you are there stand in front of the resturant, close your eyes and think of stand on ice, you can feel it move. cool huh
    tim