Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to be at a busy creek crossing early morning behind a blow down waiting for a momma doe to take a cool drink of water before heading to bed. In the evening, I know of a travel corridor & pinch between bedding and food that is popular with the does as well. Easy access too. Both spots are on public. What do you all have in mind? Does or bucks? Terrain? Public or private?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll be in a ground blind with my 7yr old. We have been watching a bachelor group of bucks all summer. Hopefully they pass by and he's able to make a quick clean kill. He done good last year harvesting a buck and a doe. So with a little luck maybe he can do it again.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I'll be waiting as well . I used to get all excited to go but dont anymore . For me it's just not worth it . Unless by some miracle I happen to have a big deer that's killable . Which never happens for me .

I'll wait to hunt for myself till late Oct and I'll start taking my son in mid oct . He's not too choosy .

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I might go or I might not. I don’t get in a hurry to kill anything early in the season.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'll be waiting for all of your pic's and stories.Never really liked opening day of archery unless you got a place to hang the meat up or a open processor to take care of it quickly.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My opening day plan is to go fishing till October 30th and hunt hard for 2 weeks, while the rest of the area is getting pressure the deer will be resting under my stand. Worked the past two years. Might try to fill a pa tag in october. Occasionally also try a spot and stock for a doe on much smaller property that I can watch from my parents house early season. Nothing will make you feel more bad ass than stocking a doe to 15 yards in a field. Typically I’ll only try if wind is 18 mph plus(noise is a must).
Hunting Hat Flash photography Deer Fawn
Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Vertebrate Organ

·
'Super Moderator'
13,091 Posts
I’m with Ironman, not dealing with mosquitos, ticks, and worrying about meat spoiling! The season doesn’t begin for me until the week of Halloween.
Halloween is usually the witching hour for me as well.
Like others...just don't feel the need to try and beat the heat.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,855 Posts
I’m with Ironman, not dealing with mosquitos, ticks, and worrying about meat spoiling! The season doesn’t begin for me until the week of Halloween.
Sounds like my BIL. He'll go out earlier than that as long as it's comfortably cool, but once the bugs get stirring, he's out of the woods. Halloween time kicks off prime time for him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I plan to be at a busy creek crossing early morning behind a blow down waiting for a momma doe to take a cool drink of water before heading to bed. In the evening, I know of a travel corridor & pinch between bedding and food that is popular with the does as well. Easy access too. Both spots are on public. What do you all have in mind? Does or bucks? Terrain? Public or private?
I'll be in one of my Saturday hunting spots in my climber as opening day is a Saturday. I often kill a nice size doe on opening day. I have different spots in different states for each day of the week that weather and wind dictates my location. I live off venison so I have to hunt and kill as many as I can.

·
Registered
965 Posts
This will be my first year in probably 30 years that I won't be out in the woods on opening weekend. Moving to Florida and not even seeing a deer yet since I moved down here just makes me want to hunt pigs even more down here..... Rich

1 - 20 of 24 Posts