Whats your favorite shotgun? & Gauge?

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by Deadwood, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Just wondering what are some of your favorite hunting shotguns and your gauge of choice? My favorite shotgun has and always will be the Model 37 Winchester. I have owned and hunted with many different brands, gauges and models of shotguns over the years. Never really enjoyed hunting with pumps or autos. and always find myself going back to the model 37.(Over 1million made so that tells you something) Built like a tank, great quality and reliable almost to a fault. My favorite gauge in any shotgun would be 16, then 12 and 410, I've owned and still own 20ga guns but never really cared for them for some unknown reason, Lets hear your favorites and maybe some pics.

2. Well,
    For pheasant , rabbit, and grouse, a Lefever Nitro Special in 16 gauge. When I seriously chased them , I even had a backup Lefever. For waterfowl, an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge, with the plug being a piece of copper tubing filled with lead,extra weight so the gun would swing easier. Favorite slug gun, same Ithaca with a K 1.5 Weaver scope, and wood plug.
    John

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

My best all around gun is my 1187 Remington. It has a slug barrel as well as a vent rib with chock tubes. Best gun I have ever had. Never had a second of problem with it.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

Sbe..........in 12 Ga. ITS IN MY SIGNATURE!

5. Benelli M1. I can't believe the amount of abuse a benelli can take and never let you down. I shoot over 1000 shells a year in dust, dirt, mud, weeds, water, hot, and cold before cleaning it in late january. I've disasembled my gun at the end of the year and had gravel fall out, without ever missing a beat.

6. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Depends on the game.
    Deer in Ohio; Ithaca Mod. 87 Featherweight w/Brenneke barrel
    Pen raised Pheasant, Wild Chukar, Woodcock; Browning 410 feather FX
    Quail; Beretta 687 SPIII, 20 ga.
    Wild Pheasant; Ithaca mod. 37 , 16ga. original model w/tootsieroll fore end
    Grouse; Can't seem to kill them bastards with anything
    Ducks; Don't hunt em....Too darn cold out for that
    Turkey; Benelli Nova 12 ga. 3 1/2 mag.(bring along your Vicodin)
    Intruders; Benelli Nova 12 ga. 3 1/2 mag.00 buck (Vicodin won't help them):D

7. I have never owned an Ithaca Mod 37 but have always heard good things about them. I use to own a Rem 31 which is near the same gun. Smoothest pump action shotgun I ever picked up. I was at the Pro Show in Athens recently and saw some kid walking around with what he said was a Russian or Czhec copy of the Ithaca 37.

8. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

As far as mechanical action shotguns go my very favorite is the original model 37 featherweight Ithaca's. There were many other pump shotguns that were manufactured in that era that were fine guns, probably better quality, certainly worth much more today than the Ithaca 37 but as far as I'm concerned none more hunter friendly. They may bump your shoulder a little harder than others but they carry, draw, and point very well. Their function and appearance, to me, is that of a classic American Field Gun. And to top it off you can pick up a fine example of that model in 20, 16, or 12 ga. for about $350 at the shows.

Forgot to add, a well maintained action on these guns is second to none I don't care who the manufacturer might be.

9. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

ithaca model 37 featherweight 20ga, dad bought it when he was 16 for $20...

10. Deer mossy 500 t/s 12ga redfield 2x20 shotgun scope fed barnes sabot's:!
    mossy 500 t/s 20ga nikon 2x7x32 realtree scope sst sabots
    Grouse/pheasants 1911 A H FOX 12ga 2x2 (dad got it from granddad);)
    Rabbits(nice days) mossy 500 20ga //(bad days)sears model 200 20ga(1st new gun mom an dad got me,at age 10)poly-choke
    Squirrels most of the time i use a .22, sometimes i use my 1st ever gun a topper jr 410 single shot full choke(given 2 me by my grandfather at age 8)
    Home protection mossy 500 12ga 18 1/2 tactical grip's/laser/light:D
    mrtwister_jbo

ps the fox is my fav by far:D

11. Dads old Winchester 1300 Autoloader. Rare that I get to use it.
    Single shots are the red letter model 37 winchester,
    Deer Model 1100 Remington.
    Ducks, my Browning gold 10
    I just picked up a Model XL 900 Ithica.Mod barrel,
    I plan to use it on ducks and go from there to weather I like it or not.

12. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

My main gun I use is my Browning NWTF 12g. It is a versatile gun. I use it for turkey, doves, geese, and ducks. And I use it for trap shooting. My deer gun is a Remington 870 w/cantilever rifled barrel. I put a Nikon 3x9 scope and a Boyd's thumbhole stock on it. I had the trigger worked on and now it has a 3lb pull on it. It puts a lot of meat on our table.

13. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

Remington 870, 12 gauge for everything. If I had a 20 gauge I'd use it for smaller game and birds.

Awesome gun, good price, always works.

14. Id Love To Have The Browning Bps But Wouldnt Trade Anything For My Winchester 97.

15. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

mossberg 9200 combo;)

16. I PREFER THE " MOSSBERG 500 -A ." I AM ONLY ABLE TOO DEER HUNT NOW .WITH THEDIFFERANT CHOKES , BUT I ALWAYS USE THE IMPROVED CYL. USED THE GUN FOR 5 YRS AND NEVER MISSED A DEER " YET " I HHAVE A SET OF THOSE " TRUE_GLOW -SITES " ON IT . IT IS AWESOME !!!!!!!!! pappysgto@aol.com

17. Im kinda fond of the 20 gauge myself, I have a 1100LT-20 and a 870 Express, I also recently purchased a Remington 453 O/U that Im looking forward to trying out.

18. Upland bird gun: L.C. Smith Field grade 12 ga

Formerly my grandfathers. I've seen him take birds down from 50 yards away in full flight with this bad boy

Winchester 1200 for deer/turkey

19. Gotsa ahhhh;
    Ole Rem. Wingmaster 870 pump,

shoots the 3"mag.

4 Xtra bar. -deer (smooth bore)slug, 30" goose, & new rifled bar. 4 years ago which gave me a bit more confidence for the sabot thing. now I won't hesitate for the 75yd. + shots. even up to 100 maybe 110 range.

bought back in (yikes) early 70's,

Served me well & no problems :)

Nik

Also have a Ranger 101.6 Double Barrel 12ga. side x side. Not having a shotgun way back when?, a friend of mine told me to use it while he went to Nam, & well..... I still have it, never have shot it, just sit's there in my gun cabinet, for he never came back to use it:(

20. Deer - Remington 11-87 12 gauge... cantalever scope mount with a 3x9

Rabbit - Reminton 1100 - LT 20 gauge

Tree rats - Savage model 24. .410/.22