Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh we're so close I can almost smell it in the air! So as I sit here at work I was thinking about what I could warm up on the buddy heater that's new or different to me. My go-to is the precooked Johnsonville Brats. Easy and quick. Another favorite of mine is a bacon egg and cheese on toast. Let it cool to room temp then wrap it in foil and throw it in the shanty for later. Leftover pizza is another good one wrapped in foil.

Bud n Burgers
Food goes in...something's gotta come out...so I don't eat while out, otherwise I'll need to drop the drawers and do a #2...sip on coffee and maybe eat a couple of pretzel rods.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I have friends that have the very same issue, many of us that don鈥檛 have these type issues take for granted a stable bodily function we aren鈥檛 even aware of. I like to filet and cook fish on the ice if I鈥檓 going to be out all day, I will also bring a few eggs and some hashed browns To go with it. I have two great little pack stoves and take two 8鈥 SS pans and some butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. Boom, lunch.

Registered
It's amazing how much hot food helps on a long day on the ice .

I cook alot of sausages and brats or cans of soup on my heater . But the pulls tops .

I also get ham and cheese and make hot ham and cheese . Minus the bread . I usually have them slice the ham a little thicker fhr this than you would for a sandwich .

Registered
In my ice tote I carry one of these single burners, a pan, and old percolator. Fresh, hot coffee to start then the pan goes on and I'm filling up the hut with the smell of sizzling bacon. Nothing better!
View attachment 481031
We use a similar single burner and with a cast iron pan, you can do most anything you want. We've done maple sausage links and bacon for breakfast then brats, burgers, steaks, etc for lunch/dinner. We have learned to cook outside the shack though, some of the stink seems to stay in the shack fabric for a long time.

Registered
I'm a bucket sitting thick ice only guy. So I have yet to acquire a buddy heater for the ice.
So my standard is a thermos full of hot coffee and a couple cold sausage/egg/cheese sandwiches cooked the night before. Or lunch meat sandwiches/chips.
I always try to eat a hot breakfast before I go as well....
But I def drink LOTS of coffee when ice fishing...

Registered
I gotta eat on the ice . Need something to go with my beer and crown royal . Lol
. Once I learned how to pop out my buddy heater grate and reverse it to cook it was a game changer . Just gotta make sure abd place stuff out far enough that the grease doesn't clog the pilot .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts