Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from Vacation. House was like Port Columbus. Had a dozen flies in the house. i can't kill them quick enough. It seems like i get 4-5 more every day. No trash or food out. no fruit.. Never seen so many. I covered all the open water, even in potted plants, as they have to have a water source. Now they buzz me at my desk, like their pi***d. I put the hanging ribbons and vinegar and soap. I do better if i open the refrigerator at night, as they go straight in. wait 10-15 min and they're laying on the bottom.. Anyone know of a good fly trap (actually does what it says?)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Had something similar some years ago, turned out the fridge in the basement had a mouse dead in the collector pan. Good luck finding the source.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Our house is the same this year. Its a brick house and it gets warm faster than everything else. And even in this hot weather the flies hang out on the bricks around the back door. Then when one of the kids go in or out, 4 or 5 flies get in. In cooler weather its horrible, there will be hundreds out there. I know this doesn’t help, but you’re not alone. We have a salt gun, but the fly swatter is way more efficient. Just not nearly as much fun.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our house is the same this year. Its a brick house and it gets warm faster than everything else. And even in this hot weather the flies hang out on the bricks around the back door. Then when one of the kids go in or out, 4 or 5 flies get in. In cooler weather its horrible, there will be hundreds out there. I know this doesn’t help, but you’re not alone. We have a salt gun, but the fly swatter is way more efficient. Just not nearly as much fun.
Several years back, while in Columbus, I left my house for 3 days. When I got home, the kitchen was full of flys, no less than 40, and all on the same window..I had left fruit out. I killed so many and even damaged the blinds. It was like one of those creepy movies. I work from home now. I see them in the kitchen and bathroom. The common denominator is water. They have to have water. I close off the drains and even keep the plants dry, they get aggressive, in my face, just being a nuisance. I just got back from a week in Canada, no flies. They were all gone. Weirdest thing... I am ordering the bugasalt

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never seen a mouse or chipmunk. I must have 7 stray cats living on my block, as they're always in the yard. The flies seem to follow us in the house. I'm going to get some scented oil for around the doors and a salt gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My friend is a exterminator and says most times it's a dead animal in the walls.A mouse,chipmunk, bird etc.
It happens in Florida at least twice each winter when there is a dead rat in the attic of our shack due to poison deployed by me before I knew better! Open the windows and burn incense, hang fly strips in their favorite window. Last winter, we had a dead possum decaying on the side of our house in the grass parking area, with the odor coming through a nearby window. I thought it was a dead rate in the attic, until one day a turkey vulture swooped in and flew off with the maggot covered carcass. Only in Florida - NOT.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,348 Posts
Yep... dead rodent. I was getting 10 flies or more in the kitchen a few months ago when I’d get home from work, couldn’t figure out why, went into the back room of the basement and smelled it before I found it. It was a dead rat? Big mouse? Idk, it was about 3” long not counting the tail. There were maggots on it/in it and a bunch of those Black fly egg casings all around it. After days of looking I found that damn thing chewed a hole thru my wooden siding under the back deck and entered the basement. I just used a cordless vac to suck the flies up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Flies are really bad this year, what gives? City tearing up our road, have to haul everything down to a roll off dumpster, they haven't emptied it since 24July (project keeps getting extended) talk about fly farm!! Have to heave it up and over and run like he**!! Not good! FYI there is a worldwide shortage of concrete....like everything else...who knew

·
TeamOGF
7,110 Posts
Get yourself an electronic fly swatter/zapper. They are a huge improvement over a regular fly swatter.
Shaped like a tennis racket and at least four times the size of a regular one, its much easier to get them
No need for a fast swing, and you can trap them right on the window pane.
I have three in different parts of the house.

Reactions: hatteras1
1 - 20 of 26 Posts