close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats up with catfish around here.......

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by catfishhunter001, Aug 19, 2004.

1. catfishhunter001

catfishhunter001 The Natural

In then past week Ive been to paintcreek , deercreek , rockyfork , madison lake , chocktaw lake , and cj and all i seem to catch is bass whare is the bite. When i do catch a cat,there all small. Mabe its the weather but the only good cat reports seem to be GMR reports.But I dont know the river and dont live or work close enough to scout it mabe someone could help me out I asure you i am a catch and release guy and the only time i ever keep anything is when i want to have some fresh channel cat mabe once a month but I will understand if all you GMR fishermen are leary about Info but if you will help out a felow sport fisher not meat hunter or river raper please pm me.
    Hey flathunter hows your luck been at pc.Ive only fished the spillway this week when i was down that way sunday all i could catch was 5 or 6 14" channels slipfloating the submerged rocks with shad. But the water was down quite a bit. :(

2. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

i've been fishing cj every sat. night for the last three weeks. i've had luck everytime, first time i caught about 6 channels ranging from 1 to 2lb. then the last time i went i caught a 2 a 3 and a 7. if you fish the area a couple times you start knowing where they go, i've also had alot of help.

3. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

They haven't been hitting too good in the GMR where I fish for a little over a week. Don't know why.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

catfishing has been poor for me since late may

5. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Yes catfishing really sucks around these parts thanks to having no limits on catfish and people taking way to many fish out. I actually gave up on fishing this year. I have not done any serious fishing for like 2 weeks and dont plan on going any more this year. It seems fishing is more depressing then it is fun anymore. :( :mad:

6. I caught these couple pounders last night at a gravel pit. They turn on like clockwork from about 8:30 until 10pm. Then they shut off until midnight to one. Bite again for about 45 minutes and then nothing until close to dawn. It's like they are swimming in a big circle around the lake and I get a shot at them as they pass. If I had 2 wishes, they would be to prove that is true and to have a way to make them stay put. I hate it when they bite like that. You can never force yourself to leave because you know that they are going to turn back on in an hour or so....and then it's morning...

Sorry the pics are so bad...camera no likey nighttime..

This has been a wierd summer for fishing in general for me. No carp, small cats, and only a few bass of all types. Only the panfish have come through. I'm really tired of gills, though.

Attached Files:

7. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

i caught a 7 at cj. cj is pretty good, i havn't fished there without catching anything yet.

Attached Files:

8. catking

catking Banned

One word.............AUGUST...........THE CATKING !!! :D

9. catking

catking Banned

Very nice channel cat monsterKAT................ CATKING

10. Scarletfisherman

Scarletfisherman Catch & Releaser

Last Wednesday night we caught 8 cats between 10 pm and 2 am. Largest two were 5.3 pounds each. So it seems night fishing is the formula + fresh cut shad on circle hooks on the bottom. I have two CatMaxx poles with 6500 reels, but this night also used two medium action spinning rods. Boy was it fun bringing in one of the 5.3#ers on that, especially near the boat when we turned on some lights and the fish took off. Again, the circle hooks worked very well for us. I'm trying to figure out how to get photos onto these threads. I'll try again later.

11. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

fished cj brown again caught three all about 1#. still had a good time

12. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I agree with not catching mant cats.Seems like this year we havent caught nearly the fish we did in the past.I do catch and release.I do keep a few,like when one gets hooked deep and won't survive.We mostly fish eastfork.We've had a lot of nites of 2-3 fish.The nites of running out of bait are few and far in between.And not many of any size.

13. I've had some luck at times at CJ for catfish. Nothing like last year, then again I'm not fishing as much. Had a really good night last Saturday. Nothing big, but lots of little fighters in the north end of cj from 12-4am.

I have yet to try fishing for cats during the day. From what I see on this site, nice size cats can be found during the day.

But...it just feels more like catfishing with the sun is down.

14. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

i'm gunna have to agree with you there

15. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

After saying that,went to eastfork fri. and sat.and sun. nite and we didn't do as bad.Best nite this year.Fri. nite,the wife and i caught several little ones each,also several in the 2-3# range.Nothing big but stayed busy.The wife caught one 5.8#.Sat nite about the same with some on average a little bigger ,me catching one 5.6# and one 8.15#.Sun nite wasn't as good,a lot of cats ,All small.All released.Hope this is a sign of things to came.