close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats the best way to clean spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by starcraft, Aug 30, 2005.

1. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

hello, with all this rain we getting wanting to do a little cleaning to my reels looking for advice on the best compounds if i should use any to help keep my reels working smooth. Can u add bearings to ur reels?l Mine are pretty old but with some fine tuning iam sure they can still last a little longer. I have heard of stuff u can spray on ur line to keep it smooth and last longer. Looking for thoughts on this thanks :)

2. There are products that you can spray on your mono line that will condition it and make it not hold as much coil from memory. I have never used them so I don't know much about them and whether they extend the life of the line.

As far as your reel goes you have several options based on how comfortable you are with dismantling the reel. At a minimum you should periodically spray down the reel with a hose to remove grit and grime from the outside. You can also purchase some reel oil and follow up the washing with a couple of drops of oil on the hings and friction surfaces. This will help the reel work more smoothly. If you feel comfortable with doing so the best way to maintain them is to (I am assuming you are dealing with a spinning reel) take the said plate off and wipe down the gears and the rest of the inside and reapply some reel grease to it. I do that to mine every season and it really helps to maintain them.