What's the average lease fee in S.E. Ohio?

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by cnmrosko, Nov 12, 2008.

1. I'm wondering if anyone here can report on what the average per acre lease fee costs in east central and south east Ohio? I'm talking about dealing directly with the landowner.

2. Snook

Snook Eat-Fish-Hunt

That's hard to answer. It all depends on the landowner. The problem you will have is finding a "good" farm to lease. Most of the good farms are "in the family". If you don't have an "in" it's going to be tuff. Anyhow I've seen property leased anywhere from $2000yr to $1000 a week for a 300 acre farm. Hunting outfitters have been trying to sew up as much ground as possible due to the fact that Ohio is becoming one of those "big buck" hotspots.

3. A 1000 a week, what a rip off. Man seems like they just want to make a quick buck.

4. $1000 dollars a week???? You would be better off buying property for yourself. Definitley makes me appriciate the fact that I have ties to private property.

5. Most ground I have looked into is going for around $20 a wooded acre.

6. You are 100% correct. I'll buy property before I lease for $20 an acre. Leasing is just like renting, you are throwing away your money. You don't need 100's of acres to have a whitetail paradise. If you purchased the right property, 40 acres or so, you could have a deer haven. My uncle and I own 100 acres together and we manage our property putting in foodplots and supplemental feeding and we have a lot of deer. I'd much rather break down and spend the money than give someone $3000 a year to hunt. Think about it, you spend 3,000 a year and you do that for 5 years, that's $15000 you could have put down on your own property. In SE Ohio, you can still find property for $2000 an acre. For, $50-60,000 you can have your own place. Of course it's not going to be a huge piece of land, but if you manage it right, you don't need a huge piece of land.

7. $2000 an acre. Look harder you could be finding land for $1200 or less an acre.

8. Andy???,

Yes you can, but the problem is most "cheap land" does not contain mineral and/or timber rights. Chances are as well, if you find cheap land it has been stripped recently as well. I have found plenty of property that is 1,000-1500 an acre, but it has been timbered/stripped in the past 10 years. I will not buy property without both mineral and timber rights. My 35 acres has both and has not been cut in over 40 years. I wouldn't sell my property for anything less than $2500-3,000 an acre due to the trees that are on the place, plus owning all the rights to it. You get what you pay for these days. It's always important to research a property before you buy it. Some landowners say they own the mineral and timber rights when they actual do not. Sometimes researching a property can cost you a 1,000-2,000, but I would rather have a real estate lawyer research it for me than invest in a problem. If you don't own the mineral and timber rights, who ever purchased them can come on your property anytime and harvest the timber and/or drill. That's why it is imperative to have both.

I'm currently looking to add to our property now. There's 17 acres that adjoins ours that I would love to have if the owner would ever come off of it. That extra 17 would give us 117 acres and two more food plots:cool: