whats over time worth

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sam kegg, Oct 23, 2007.

1. well after some research i found the answer!!! is it a law that hours worked over 40 a week for a non exempt non salary person should be paid at time and a half!!!! i started working for a construction company 2 months ago, i average 55 hours a week and its all in straight time. i approached the owner about this and he told me that he could not afford to pay us over time! and that he didnt have to! yet he pays cash for $60,000 cars ,hmmmmmm. whta do you guys think, i know im looking for a new job:!

2. Actually, I think the law protects whistleblowers too. If ya get canned, you might get more than your lost OT pay.

3. Not sure about the laws but your boss is like pond scum. He's treating you like a dumb animal that he can use to get rich with. The sad thing is if you quit he'll just get someone else without thinking twice about it. Some day he will have to answer for his actions. Same thing on a larger scale going on with the corporate "leaders" in this country. They don't care about anything but what will make them the most money. They get slave labor by moving all the manufacturing jobs out of the country. They control the government with their ill gotten gains and the middle class American family will continue to suffer until it stops. Hope I didn't cross any political lines but it's touchy subject with me right now.I have a very good job but probably not for much longer. They can make it in China and ship it back here cheaper because those people are unaware of how a human being should have a chance to live. Back in the fifties and sixties a CEO made about 50 times what the companies average employee made. Last time I checked the CEO of my company made over 6,000 times my earnings. Probably goes to church and thinks life is great. Some day he will know how wrong he is and will have to atone for his greed. How these people can look themselves in the mirror is beyond me.

4. Not all employers have to pay overtime. If you work for a small company that has less than (I think) 40 employees they do not have to pay out overtime. However if this company is not exempt then you maybe able to get back wages for all the hours you worked that exceeded 40.

5. A few years ago, I had a jackass scumbag boss that felt that since his employees were privileged enough to work for him, they should work a half hour a day without pay. I let him know at more than one company meeting that this practice was illegal. His answer was the same each time, tough poop.

Finally, I got fed up with this jackass's arrogance, along with a few other traits of his that I didn't find too pleasing. I walked in one morning, and quit. I went straight from his office to the Ohio State Labor Relations Board, and turned him in for what he'd been doing. I was assigned a case worker/investigator, and they did all the work. The state has a 'look back' period of three years in matters such as this. My jackass boss had to pay 26 employees their back pay-a half hour a day X time and a half-for three years.

I ended up with a check for a little over 7K, after taxes. It was a nice little end of the year bonus.

If I remember correctly, I spent half of it on drugs, booze, and hookers, then blew the other half.

6. so thats how you do it...SWEET!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

7. I totally agree with MadMac. My father's company shipped all their work to Mexico about 2 years ago. At the time of the move, my dad had a month and a half until he could retire with full benefits.

Here is the kicker, they held onto my dad for a month in a half, but he had to spend that time in Mexico training them how to do his job!!!!! Dad felt bad for the other guys, but atleast he got his full retirement.

8. I am in the same fix. The job I have is a salary position with no possible way to get any overtime.i work 4-12 hr shifts at a time ( one rotation on days the next on nights ) We have to be on call in case someone calls off and we have to work for them. They never have to work the days back and we get comp. day for it . In the last 2 yrs, I lost 4 comp.days a year because I could not get the days back. This year they are into me for 5 days and to this point I still cant get them to let me have my days that I have coming to me. What is a person to do if you want to work?

9. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Easy there guys...I am the CEO of my company and only make 500 times the earnings of normal staff personnel and I am worth every penny!!!

It is my money on the line and when everyone else goes home at the end of the day, my blood, sweat and money is still at risk...that goes with me everywhere..even when I take a few weeks each month to go fishing!!

Okay, I am just kidding :p and only in my own mind am I worth that type of income...I bust my ass everyday and when I compute my salary against the hours I log in (well over 40), I make less than straight time for every hour I work! :mad: However, I am grateful that I have a job to go to every day...some are not so fortunate.

Seriously though, you should do yourself justice by checking with your local labor board to get a factual interpretation of the laws the govern the type of company you work for...they do vary by industry, company size, your position and responsibilities, exempt and non-exempt, etc... Stop speculating and investigate the matter...you may be pleasantly surprised and justly rewarded for your efforts. Good Luck!

10. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i concur:p

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

The Department of Labor enforces the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which sets basic minimum wage and overtime pay standards. These standards are enforced by the Department's Wage and Hour Division, a program of the Employment Standards Administration.

Workers who are covered by the FLSA are entitled to a minimum wage of not less than $5.85 per hour effective July 24, 2007. Overtime pay at a rate of not less than one and one-half times their regular rate of pay is required after 40 hours of work in a workweek. Certain exemptions apply to specific types of businesses or specific types of work.

You should investigate, its your money.

Start here:

http://www.dol.gov/

12. junkyardbass is right about the overtime pay i think that law went into affect like 2-3 years ago, cause my buddy got hit by that law and if i remember right it also affects people if they make over 26k a year too or somewhere around there, luckly i have a boss that pays over time as time and a half but now my buddies boss told him i dont have to pay u over time wages and im not going to cause its now law that i dont have to which is bull crap.JMO

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

I know Monteleon landscaping (one of the biggest in NE Ohio) got busted for the same things, they had to pay back and got in trouble with the state, then they said no more overtime for anyone, they just trimmed down a bunch of stuff, I know a few guys who worked there.

14. thanks for the advice . he is getting busted,,,, nuf said