close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's my boat worth?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by hungup, May 6, 2005.

1. Newbie here.
    I have been debating on whether or not I want to sell my boat or not. Maybe if I knew what I could get out of it, that might help. It is a 1987 16.5 ft Landau aluminum V bottom. The motor is a 2003 75HP Merc 2 stroke. I use it very little. It also has 2 livewells, 56lb thrust foot controlled trolling motor, 2 batteries with a charger.
    What might I get for my boat if I were to sell it?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Boat.JPG
      Boat.JPG
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Look under fishing boats at E-Bay Motors. They are going between 4 and 7 thousand depending on the goodies that go with it. -Hooch-

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Open a browser and type in NADA. You should be able to find a site for pricing RV's and boats (rec vehicles). Just follow the steps and input the info and you'll be able to come up with a high and low figure for retail value.

4. It is worth a $1,000 but I will give you twice that for listing it here on the OGF.:D

Seriously, that is a nice looking rig. I would use these guys' suggestions and if you are not in a real hurry you should be able to get a nice chunk of change from it.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

with the info you gave,i'd say average price is around 5 grand,give or take a few hundred,depending on exact model and condition.

6. Dang Rick! I thought maybe he I had a deal brewing.:p But you went and ruined the party.:D Oh well I was outbid anyway.:D

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

brian,payback is a beach :D
    i was gonna offer 500 till i saw your offer,so since i couldn't get it,i figured i'd knock you out of it :p :D

8. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Wow, Mr. Misfit just about hit it on the head. I took the liberty (slow afternoon :D ) and ran the numbers based on the info given. It looks like you just about hit it within a few cents! :D

9. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i would have thaught the motta was worth the $5000.00 alone?????

10. Thanks everyone for giving me the lowdown. If I decide to sell, where is the best place to list it?

11. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

In my opinion, the blue book dollar listings found on those "blue book" sites are extremely low compared to what the general public asks for their rigs (if that makes sense).

Here's what I'm getting at. Three years ago I was looking to buy a used boat for fishing on Lake Erie. I bought a Boat and RV Trader magazine, and circled all of the boats that caught my interest. I put a personal budget of 5K on my purchase. I took a day and went and looked at the boats that I had circled in the Trader at or around 5K. All I found was junk. The boats all looked good in the miniscule picture, but when I pulled into the driveway of each perspective boat, I was very disappointed. Eight out of ten of the boats needed work. I'm talking rotten floors, outdrives that needed repaired, upholstery that was half eaten by mice, you name it. I then came home and went to the Nada site, and found that each boat around 5K was given a value of about $2500. Don't get me wrong, the Nada numbers were closer to what the going rate SHOULD be, but it just wasn't what the general public thought their boats were worth (you know what I'm saying?). I looked at easily 20-30 boats in the $5000 price range, that Nada valued at or around $2500-$3000, but all were pure junk. I finally figured that I would have to raise my budget to about 7K to get into a decent boat. I ended up spending $7500 on a great boat that Nada valued at 5K. The guys asking price was 9K.

To get a more realistic price on about what you're boat should bring, moneywise, I would search ebay and the Boat Trader magazines for your brand and sized boat to find what comparable boats are going for.

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

an old saying that i always believed in is "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
    in otherwords,i might be willing to pay more or less than what someone else is,depending on how much i want it.
    realistically,if the boat and motor are in very good condition,i think my guess was close.granted,what one person considers "good",another might deem poor,or very good.as a buyer,i would look for the same things hetfieldinn mentioned,then decide what i thought the boat was worth to ME.could be more,or less.
    my boat,for example,is in reality,worth maybe 1200 bucks.no way i would sell it for that,because it's true value to me,is much more.probably wouldn't be worth that per nada,but i could sell it for that,because it would be worth it to someone.at the same time,what i would atually take for it,nobody would pay ;) .
    the boat in question,alone,is not worth more than about $1000,but the motor is worth 3 times that much,given the age of both,and assuming both are in what i consider,good condition.if i were shopping for that type boat,i'd definitely at least take a look,if it were in the 4-5 g range.then i'd see how low you would go ;)

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I deal w/ this exact situation @ work, although it's cars, the NADA RETAIL values, are actually normally HIGHER that what you'd except to give: Example, go to a car lot a new '05 Ford F150 may only book out for $15000, but the sale price is $16K or $17K. Now if your going by FAIR TRADE or LOAN VALUE, those figures will be lower that what most things will sell for.

14. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

boats are considered a luxury STILL , and are rated with a higher marlup and resale value.look for the deals.

15. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I like that boat and may seriously be interested in it over the winter, towards February. Seriously. Nice rig you have.

Justin

16. Hey all.
    I'm still strongly considering selling my boat. Is there still a market for boats this year or should I just hold off til next spring?

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You can list it here for free in the OGF Marketplace. so if you want to sell it, just put it in & see. I wouldn't go by NADA prices too much. Condition and amount of use, wear & tear mean more.

18. My offer is still on the table.:p I have a pretty decent boat but yours is better yet. I just would probably be shot by my wife if she heard me say I was thinking about it.:rolleyes: Mrfishohio's advice is a good one. You can list it here and get a lot of folks to look at it and best of all it costs you nothing.;)