close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

whats its worth?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by PhotoGuy513, Jul 16, 2007.

1. I have a 1979 Evinrude 18 hp outboard engine and i wanna sell it to get a smaller one for lakes that have a hp limit... i was just wondering ruffly what it might be worth?

thanks

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

That sounds like a smart answer but it's true. Is it clean? A disaster? Does it startm run smoothly and give you no issues or do you have to have "that special touch" to keep it going? Is the prop good or is it beat? Is the paint good or has it been hauled around in the back of a pick-up on a pile of railroad ballast? Is it a tiller? Electric start? Remote controlled?

My point here is that it's worth whatever you price it at based on what's out there otherwise. Check local classifieds, eBay, boating pages, etc. My guess is you'll see around $400-$500 for the engine, fuel tank and accessories. Always ask $50 more than what you want so the buyer can offer you the lower price. You get what you want and he thinks he got a deal. Older engine sell for that number all the time and I see no reason why your won't be the same.

UFM82

3. hey thanks for the reply.... well its is clean and it does have an electric start. cosmeticly it looks very nice to me. It does run good and starts good. prop looks good too.. It sputters sometime at very low speeds (2mph)... i'll post a pic later today.

thanks

4. It sounds very similar to the 18HP that I have. I can't recall the exact year on mine but I know it is within a year or two of that one. Mine is a long shaft tiller model. It looks a bit rough on the cover but runs great, albeit a little cold-blooded when you first hit the lake. To give you an idea I paid $400 for it about 6 years ago and never regretted it.

5. well heres a pic lets me know if its like yours and a long or short [​IMG]

6. Yep, that is like mine. Mine is a long shaft which that one looks to be as well. You will want to measure it of course before listing it.

7. cool! so you say its worth around $400-$500 ?? and from what point do i measure? and once i have the measurment how do i know if its long or shot?

thanks!

8. Here is a link to a good illustration of the measurement.

Long Shaft vs. Short Shaft

If the measurement is right around 15" then it is a short shaft. A long shaft will measure right around 20".

9. If it is a long shaft, member NorthSouthOhioFisherman has been in the market for a 15 to 30 hp He might be interested.

10. Not sure if you got rid of that motor yet.. I would check to see if you can something on it to back the HP down to like a 9.9

11. thats a good idea... i wonder what tho and would that be exceptable to the game wardens or whoever? I still have the motor tho. my buddy/mechanic said i should keep it for the bigger lakes and get a 9.9 for the hp limit lakes.

12. hey i was just curious, what is the fine if someone did use a bigger engine on a lake with a 10hp limit?

13. I can't answer that mostly because I don't know of anyone who had it happen. Also, I believe it would again depend on the location of the violation. If it were one of the state operated lakes then the fine would probably be consistent but if it were run by city or whatever then their fines could be completely different.

14. I see... hmm..... i guess knowone has had that happen to them?

15. Or perhaps will not admit it.:D:D

16. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I have heard the fine at Hoover is $175.00.

I fish Hoover a lot and can tell you there are many guys out there with "9.9's" that likely put out somewhere between 15hp-20hp. However, this year the Rangers are finally starting to crack down on speed too. (There is a 10hp limit and also a 10mph limit on Hoover.) If somebody with a "9.9" is screaming down the lake throwing a 15' rooster tail, they're asking for trouble.

Otherwise, I've never seen anyone getting a motor check at the ramp. However, there is always "that guy" that will push the rules and put a 9.9 sticker on a 250....:rolleyes:
    He's the one that will screw it up for everyone else. :D

17. I am just curious on the speed restricted lakes. What method do they use to gage the speed? Do they use radar at times? And in the case of Hoover I would imagine there would be several that could exceed the speed. A small relatively empty boat being pushed by a 9.9 could easily exceed the 10 MPH limit. It would seem that to get a fine to stick they would need to put a radar on them.

18. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Yes, not sure on how they would ascertain speed - I assume a radar gun would not be out of the question.

Now, how much you'd have to exceed the limit in order to deserve one? (I doubt they'd write you a ticket for anything up to 15mph or so.) But I know there are guys out there doing excess of 20+ mph - I've seen them. Heck, my Fisher 17' Deep-V will get up around 7.5-8mph with my Nissan 9.9 kicker. So if you put that motor on a bare 14' john I'd imagine you could easily double that speed. Then factor in someone taking the same motor and hopping it up to a 15hp or 20hp and they could do 20mph+ no problem.

Again, I have not heard of or witnessed any instances this year where someone was caught speeding. More likely that they are just trying to get the word out for the guys to start watching out and slowing down, or face the consequences. ;)