close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's it worth

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by camshaft, Jul 31, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea where to find out what a outboard motor is worth. I have looked on Ebay and did not see anything close to what I have. Just wondering if there was anything like a Kelly blue book for motors?

Thanks in advance.

2. Do a search on the Web for outboard motors, used and new. Keep in mind that dealer prices will be higher than what you can sell it for as there is a guarantee involved.

3. I don't know if others have noticed the same thing as me, but when I was looking for a used outboards I checked the NADA guide to get an idea on prices. What I found was that I couldn't touch a motor for the NADA price. I think mine had a "value" of around $200, and I felt real lucky to get it for $500. It seemed the going prices were at least double the NADA value of many motors. Obviously there's many factors, but I couldn't find anything close to the NADA prices, though I wish I could have.

4. I found the same thing and had better luck checking with dealers.

5. Thanks for all the replies, it gives me a good starting point.

6. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

7. See what I mean? ;) Like Shortdrift mentioned, dealer prices are the best guage.

8. I'll give you a dollar and an empty bowl of garlic soup for it.

9. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

If it's more than 10 years old, it's value is so variable that you have to gauge its worth by what you can sell it for. I have a mid 70's Johnson 6hp twin in my attic that runs like a top and will idle all day long. It's in almost perfect condition. I could probably sell it today for $250. Is it worth that? I would say he!! yes, but you may not think so. It's all relative. You may need a 9.9, in which case the 6 is worthless. However, you may be desperate for a 6 and are willing to pay big bucks for one.

Tell us what you have and we'll give you an idea of what you could get for it.

Outboards drop value incredibly quickly. Go to NADA and look up a 10 year old Yamaha 200 Salt Series. Be ready for the shock. And then try to buy one for what NADA says. Good luck.

UFM82

10. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

like wise i have a 1958 6 hp johnson on my boat now i wouldnt sell for less than $200...it is a perfect motor starts with only 2-3 pulls everytime even after sitting all winter, it was totally gone over 4 years ago and is perfect...but if i were to sell it someone would think i was nuts for wanting so much

11. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think the NADA guidelines for boats are worthless. Maybe if you are buying a boat and/or motor from a Goodwill auction ...as is..with no history. Otherwise in the real world they are often about one third or less the real selling prices.
    Funny how they are reasonably accurate with automobiles, yet they're so far off with boats.

12. The motor I have is a '97 or '98 Mercury 25hp off of a tracker boat. it has electric start.