close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What'd she weigh?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lawrence1, Jul 5, 2008.

1. lawrence1

lawrence1 Master Tangler

Caught my new personal best LM last month. 23.75 inches. Beats my old record by 3/4 of an inch. I prefer to handle my releases as little as possible, so I only measure the largest ones against a ruler on the rail of my boat, then back in the water. Seems to be some disagreement though amongst my fishing partners on how much it weighed. I've used the fish calculators that I googled, but would like to know what other local area anglers think based on what they have seen? It was an average healthy fish without eggs. And no, I do not have pics, no camera that trip, I do have a witness though.

I know what you're thinkin, this is just my contribution to the braggart threads. Now, I'm not usually one to brag, but hey, fishin with me is pretty much a spectator sport. I would imagine a few sponsors will be contacting me soon, maybe some pro-staff endorsements. It's just a matter of time and I'll be fishin out of one of them there "wrapped boats". ;)

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Impossible for anyone to give a guess without seeing the live fish . Those online fish estimators can be way off also. I have caught fish that "should" have weighed lbs more than they did because the were old fish. Long fish, but big head skinny body. Best thing to do is buy a handheld digital scales and take with you.

3. lawrence1

lawrence1 Master Tangler

Thanks for the reply. Yea, it's probably impossible to give a guess, but what would your guess be? It was an average fish, neither fat nor skinny.

I'm not a big fan of holding the fish up by it's jaw, I'll pass on the handheld scale.

4. I agree also,way too many variables goes into the calculations,also no girth is mentioned too.Too bad that puppy wasn't weighed on a good reliable scale.I'd love to know the poundage.Nice fish anyway though.

5. ScottB

ScottB SW Ohio

As a rough estimate, I use the length cubed/1800 rule for bass, that gives about 7.4 pounds in your case. As others have said, that can be way (or weigh :) ) off, especially for bigger fish. I would say anywhere from 6 to 7.5 pounds would be a good guess. Nice fish regardless of weight.

6. JF1

JF1

That being said, I've caugt a lm bass that was 6.2lbs and roughly the same lenght. I've also caught one 3.8lb that was identical lenght. Too hard to tell w/o some type of a girth measurement or picture.

As said below, digi scale great investment.

7. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Get a digital scale and get a tourney weigh in bag. Get the inside of the bag wet, dump out the water, tare it on the scales and put the fish in the bag and hook the bag on the scale. No holes in the fishes mouth and no stress on the jaw. If you have a livewell slip it in the livewell while you get the bag ready. Make sure you wet the inside of the bag. You could probably put a half gallon of water in the bag then tare it and put the fish in and weigh also. Nice catch, without seeing the fish i would say 5.5lbs to 7lbs it just depends on girth. Of course thats a huge range but there are a lot of factors that people already mentioned. Nice catch and i respect the catch and release. Good job.