What would you do?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Santa2ya, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Someone made me a deal almost to good to pass up.

    The Deal
    Claims to be a 72 Starcraft 18' aluminum closed bow with an 1984 70hp Evinrude $700. Runs great, Exterior in good shape, interior needs work.

    The bad
    Claims during divorce the ex ripped up title to both but that it had not been transfered into his name yet. He had been using it for 10+ years without proper registration. No HIN and no evidence (like rivet holes) of one either. Transom looks to be replaced.

    Would you avoid it?
    Buy it and part it out.
    Buy it keep the Ruddy and scrap the 600 lbs of aluminum boat.
  2. fishingguy

    fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

    Sounds like a stolen boat too me. If he can't produce something saying he owns it, I would assume he doesn't. Illegal any way you look at it.

  3. The One

    The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

    It depends if it's worth getting fined or going to jail over. If the title was never transfered into his name then legally the boat is not his unless he has a bill of sale. With this story I would look for a notarized bill of sale. You will have to apply for a 12 digit HIN through ODNR watercraft. It might not hurt to call them first and see what kind of hassles you might run into. You didn't mention a trailer but you can always check the VIN to see whom the registered owner is.
  4. is it a blue/gray boat with newer paint on the rude???? sounds like a boat i knew of and the story would be TRUE...his ex did just that...just a thought...
  5. Is there a place to go online and look up a VIN or the motor serial number.
    I took a picture of the boat and I also have the Ruddy tag information. Model: E70ELCRD Serial:J0896040
  6. freyedknot

    freyedknot useless poster

    no, but visit the div. of watercraft site and you can get a form for the info?
  7. If he cannot prove he owns it-he cannot legally sell it. Have him to go to the state and apply for a title. I would not touch it unless he can produce a transferrable title for the boat
  8. I could see the title coming up missing. The fact that the HIN plate missing is questionable, at best.

    The fact that both items used for proving ownership of the vessel are nowhere to be found at the same time would be reason enough for me to not even consider the deal.
  9. SwollenGoat

    SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

    Yup, that is the clincher. I'd walk.
  10. Ðe§perado™

    Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

    Walk away, is the best move. Receiving stolen property is no charge to play with.
  11. If the guy can't produce a title, how are you going to "legally" register it? I think there's too many other good deals out there to take a risk on this. I'd tell the guy, "you get this stuff straigthened out, and we'll talk".