close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Would You Do ?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tcba1987, Jun 14, 2007.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

First of all i dont want this post turning into a WAR...................i wasnt gonna say anything at all because this really doesnt affect me or the small tournaments that i run but here goes............................

i had heard various rumors about a couple of people from this area who cheat at catfish tournaments throughout the state. i mean i heard that they fish somewhere every weekend in a catfish tournament and i never knew if these rumors were true or not. well just recently i had a friend who knows these people personally (my friend does not fish much at all and NEVER fishes in any tournaments) and ive known him for years. well we were talking about catfishing and my small tournaments and he was like dont let so&so (i wont mention names) fish in your tournaments. i asked him why and he told me that this guy was bragging about how they have a area in a small creek on property that they own dredged out deep that they keep flatties in from week to week. he said the guy went into great detail about how they cant escape and how theres creek chubs there so they can eat and that they very seldom have a flattie die. they use them once or twice for open catfish tournament weigh ins and then release them and get new flatties every so often just for tournaments and that most if not all of their fish are caught on lines. my question is this.....................what should i do if anything ?? i dont want to risk getting into a mess over mentioning their names to other tournaments because i dont know FOR SURE that they are cheating but i have heard their namens mentioned at several different tournaments as being suspected cheaters and then i heard all of this.

first of all it doesnt affect my club at all (they attempted to enter one of my tournaments and i refused their entries a few years back) so i dont care what they do really. it just really burns my BUTT that they are taking money from honest guys who enter these other tournaments !!

the second thing is that there is no way to prove it....................if these fish are being kept on private property it is almost impossible to do anything and being that they arent tying the fish on a stringer they probably show very little as far as being marked up or anything !!

i just didnt know what to do .............id like to warn some of the other guys who runs tournaments about this but i dont want my name mentioned that i said they are doing this. i just hate seeing the cheaters taking home big prize money every week. i know that they recently entered a SMALL local tournament here and turned in BIG fish and won it easily !!

gosh this is really frustrating to me !!! like i said i wont get into naming names but i know that some of you on here would know who they are if you heard their names because of their reputation as being cheaters !! oh well any advice would be appreciated !!!

2. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Why don't you contact Division of Wildlife and let them handle it? I'm sure they would appreciate the tip if these people do this so often.

3. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I don't understand how they get these fish to a weigh-in, especially if it is no where near their property...do cat tourneys allow shore fishing? only from a boat? Do these perps keep a bag in their truck and turn it in at weigh-in?

4. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

I would report it to the ODNR.
    This is the one sceptic I have always had about tournament fishing. Its a good thing our circuit has a great group of guys.

5. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

i guess report it to the ODNR. Hard to prove anything, but i think the big thing would be holding the fish the way they are. im not sure if you are able to take a species out of its bady of water and place it in another. if ya could prove something some how then they could do something. as far as the tourny goes, that all with who runs the tourny.

6. What would I do?? I'd handle it through my tournament staff and with the proper authorities and NOT post it on a public fishing website for Lord knows who to chime in their two, four, or six cents on the issue which they have absolutely no connection to.

There's been a recurring theme on more than a few posts here, and as a wise person said, good to vent sometimes, but deal with YOUR problems in YOUR realm of control.

But hey, that's just me....:)

7. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Boy that covers a whole lot of territory beyond this post! Spot on brother.

8. lol I was going to say that you just allerted the whole state of Ohio.

9. tcba1987

well IF i alerted the whole state good, i maybe caught the attention of some of the catfish tournament organizers and they will keep a closer eye on things. as i said it doesnt benefit me in any way, i dont fish any of the tournaments that they attend regularly.

i know at most of the "OPEN" type catfishing tournaments, you can fish any public body of water and NO paylakes !! you can also fish from boat or the bank.......... most boats have livewells and guys who dont own boats have homemade livewells !! i think this mainly goes on at the "OPEN" tournaments !!!

thanks for the comments and suggestions !!

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Second-hand knowledge is gossip, nothing more tcba.

Tell your friend who may have been looking for advice from you; to himself (the one with first-hand knowledge) pursue the matter.

11. Without first hand knowledge or actual evidence, it would be hard to prove...however, cheaters deserve to be caught, and eventually, they will!

TCBA - you need to decide for yourself what to do next...but I know that the decision would eat away at me. Doing the right thing is never easy nor is it always easily discerned. Many here would look the other way or choose not to get involved. Nobody wants to get involved until it affects them personally.

I hope that the guys get nailed.
    z

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I've only fished a couple tourneys, OGF's Crappie Open and the ACATS tourney, but both had someone checking livewells. I personally think that having an "open" tourney that covers more than one body of water where no one is supervising others is a mistake. If you cut a hole in a fense, people are going walk through it, know what I mean?

13. tcba1987

as i said im hoping that this post caught some peoples attention so that EVERYONE not just the tournament organizers will keep a closer eye on things. MAYBE these guys will hear about this post and think twice about trying this crap again. being that this is second-hand information (from a reliable source) that was the only reason i posted about it, if it had been a rumor that i heard from a total stranger i wouldnt have posted it at all !!

as far as open tournaments..............they ARE a mistake when you consider the unfair advantage that guys who have the boats and resources to fish say the ohio river will almost always take better fish then guys who are stuck on a local lake or small stream. that and as melon said if you OPEN it up, people will roam ...........you know there are guys who probably fish PRIVATE ponds amd PAYLAKES also !!! i say if you hold a tournament it should be limited to one body of water and that way it can be monitored more closely and there would be less chance of cheating !!

i guess if you fish those types of tourneys you have to trust everyone because they are run on a TOTALLY TRUST SYSTEM and with the amount of money that is up for prizes at some of these tourneys i couldnt trust everyone !!! what is it they say about money ????????????????MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL !!;)

14. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

If you having an Open tournament were you can fish any lake then thats the first problem in my opinion. The tournament should be we are fishing alum creek everyone fish's here with boat or bank or what ever. But everyone fish's this lake. Your only looking for problems if you tell people go fish where ever you want and be back here in the morning thats just stupid. In my opinion.