close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Onion, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I moved into a new place a few weeks ago and it sits on 5 acres of which 3 is wooded. My 3 acres are part of a larger 30 acre tract. The backyard is about 100 yards long and 50 yards wide. In the middle of the backyard (in grass left intentionally high) is a pear tree that is flat loaded with pears.

Every morning at around 7 am, a doe and her 2 yearlings come into the yard and nibble at the corn I have out then head to the tree to munch on pears for half an hour or so before heading back into the woods. I pretty much have her exact pattern down, from where she enters the yard to where she leaves.

I have also caught sight of a group of around 6 deer in the yard in the evening (830-10 pm). I haven't been able to see if there are any bucks in this group.

The question is, do I tag that doe first day, do I tag one of her kids (one is definitely a runt) and let her live to breed again, or do I try and hunt the other group's entry and exit with the hope of a big buck?

2. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

What I would do....is not shoot baby deer or the mother of baby deer that the babies need because they are still breast feeding. Be patient, a mature deer will come along sooner than later.

3. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

If you have that many deer coming around most are probably does which means there should be a big old buck coming one of these days looking for a good time. Be patient and wait for a big old buck. The season lasts a long time.

4. If You Want Tender Meat,shoot A Fawn...chances Are They Both Wont Make It Thru The Winter...

5. After watching these 3 deer for about 6 hours total I am very confident in saying the fawns are not dependent on their mother for nourishment. Not once has either of them tried to nurse.

I guess my question should really be:

Do you take the sure thing on opening day or not?

btw I am in zone C and urban....6 does and a buck this year if I can get them.

6. Shoot the doe first then shoot the twins later. They won't venture far from where mom has shown them where to get the groceries. I bet you could shoot them all opening weekend. If you want to shoot does then shoot them early in the season or wait until after the rut if you don't want to mess up your buck hunting.

7. I would say if you want the meat (more than one deer) I would take the first nice size doe that comes in. Since you have that many deer in your area you obviously are not going to hurt the population much by taking out a mature doe. You will have plenty of does around to draw the bucks once the urge starts to kick in.

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I'd say take mommy or another mature doe. Sounds like you have plenty to choose from. Take a doe early and then wait for a buck later.

9. Take any of them. Just keep in mind the one you did not take will be the one that you hit with your car this winter.

10. :p

ROFL Walter...no doubt I would too!