close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What would you do??

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by KSUFLASH, Apr 6, 2005.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have been slappin around some ideas, and figured I would get my fellow OGF'ers opinion. I now have 2 boats. I have a 12ft aluminum with a 7.5HP 2 stroke and a minn kota trolling motor. I also have a 16ft fiberglass deep-v MGF Westfield Regal with a 60HP motor.

The aluminum is too small to really fish Mosquito, Westbranch, Berlin, Tappan, etc... The big boat can't be used in the electric only lakes. Also, the bigger boat is more of a pleasure boat rather than a fishing boat.

I can't really justify 2 boats, 1 of which I can fish small lakes, and the other bigger boat that can be used for fishing, yet lacks the features of a bow mount trolling motor, live well, etc....

Anyone ever been in a situation like this where they had 2 boats, only wanted 1 boat that could do double duty?

flash---------------------------------------out

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i would sell them both and pick up a 14 ft aluminum w/a 9.9 or larger.fairly new or new. there a decent 16 ft and a 14 ft in the ogf marketplace. they both could be used in close on erie if need be. and on smaller lakes. a 25 hp is easy enough to remove for the electric only lake.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

keep em both, you have too many memories "sunk" into old reliable!

4. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Hmm... well, we are probably the wrong people to ask.. but, I say keep 'em both! Different lakes.. different needs.. why limit yourself? We actually just purchased a 14' utility boat/trailer just for that reason. We live only 10 minutes from LaDue, and couldnt even fish it because we didnt have the right kind of boat. So a little aluminum boat, no frills.. just something to get us out on that water and into those nice little coves. We should be picking this thing up next week and cant wait! LaDue... here we come!!!

5. ...yea keep both Ben the minute you want to fish a lake that you could have but no longer have a boat for you'll kick yourself...
    Ladue is one reason to keep the smaller of the two and skeeter one reason to keep the larger :D

6. No way should you keep them both, that would cause a lot of problems. Since I'm such a nice guy and dont want to see you have to deal with this problem I will come take which ever boat you dont want, just let me know. Glad I can help a fellow member out. :D

7. KSUFlash, I could justify two boats. As long as you got a place to put them, and the old lady ain't on your case about it, don't worry about. Now...who must you justify two boats to? Yourself?

Heck, at one time, I had three boats and a canoe. But when you got a yard full of cars up on blocks, what does it matter? Well...I once had a yard full of fun toys until Fairfield County came along and told me I had to remove them a few years back. And speaking of (not to take over your post KSUflash), the county stopped the other day and told me I had to take down the kids' swingset. I made this swing frame and then I hung one of those miniature honda 80 3 wheelers (blown engine) on chains and made a miniature 3 wheeler swing set. I thought it was pretty cool.

8. I have a 16' Sea Nymph that I use in several lakes. I have an 18 HP motor although I would prefer a bit larger for my big motor. But I also have a 6 HP and I would also prefer a 9.9 HP. Go figure.:rolleyes: If I had it the way I wanted I would have a 25 HP and 9.9 HP but I could get by with a nice 9.9 HP. I guess what I am saying is that all of my options involve one boat. My suggestion would be to get something in 16' and it will give you that versatility. Equip it with a good trolling motor and you can push a boat that size around an eliectric only lake pretty well.

The thing with two boats is that you need two of an awful lot of things. 2 fish finders (or 4 as in my case I have 2 on my boat;)). Or at lease mounting brackets to be able to move them back and forth. Even then you would need 2 transducers. 2 trailers. 2 boat registrations. 2 license plates. Then you have to worry about maintaining 2 boat and 2 trailers. Then you have to move all of your gear each time you change places to fish. And the list goes on.

You can get in a 16' boat used that is in nice condition for a pretty decent price. My guess is that you can probably net out a good bit ahead once you sold what you had and bought something else.

9. Getting a boat for Inland and Erie is not a problem. There are 16ft boats that will serve that dual purpose quite well and allow you to effectively fish Erie beyond the close in shore bite. You will have to mount enough horsepower to handle Erie in a storm and also have a kicker for inland. 50hp will work on a 16ft boat and a 9.9 will serve well on inland. The key is to purchase a boat designed for Erie. I had a Lund 1600 Explorer SS and was able to fish Erie anytime it was fishable. Was also caught out in several of Erie's fast blowups and the Lund did a fine job.

I would just get a wide beam 12 or 14ft boat for the inland electric lakes. You could always transfer the 9.9 to it when you were on a lake like Piedmont
    or Pymatuning and wanted the ability to more around quicker than the 16 footer.

Sorry, but there isn't a overall solution. Lewis and I share our boats depending on the lake we want to fish. I have the Combo Erie/Inland while he has the Inland/Electric/close in Erie.

Hope these comments help answer you question.

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I would sell them both and get something that suits your all around needs.