Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you found $150,000 in your garden while picking some veggies for dinner? Read a story on Yahoo last night about a guy that did just that. He lives in northern Illinois and is outta work and he called the police and turned it in. He might just get to keep it seeing how there wasn't any reports of a bank robbery or bulgaries in the area.Now that's not something you come across everyday while getting a veggie outta the garden. So would you guys and gals have done the same thing?

·
Banned
6,234 Posts
I could tell you that I would turn it in...but...I honestly don't know. The money could pay for my son's college education...that would set him up for his life with college completely paid for and maybe some "start out" money for him!

·
Banned
607 Posts
I'd turn it in for sure. Never be able to live with myself if I kept it and spent it. The fellow who found that and turned it in is someone anybody would be proud to call their friend. I hope if it is claimed they will reward him well.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Would have done the same thing without a thought,turned it in and hoped no one would claim and I'd get it back or a reward.Firm believer in you reap what you sow,and I have enough problems without asking for more:p

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My fist thought was I'd keep it but after a few seconds my conscience was already bothering me. I'd turn it in too.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It be awful tempting to keep but I'd turn it in as well. With my luck I'd end up in jail if I kept it. I do hope that even if it's claimed that the guy is rewarded for doing the right thing.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
He did the right thing. But I wouldn't trust the police to say no one claimed the money and give it back. So I would keep it. That's alot of money to give up and would pay one hell of alot of bills and provide some more free time to fish.

·
11 dayz
10,521 Posts
I would keep it. It was drug money anyway and the cops won't give it back. Who else would stash it in a garden? I'd watch my back for a while though.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Heard my answer on K96 this morning: Run a found ad, you describe. After a week, it's mine :)

I would just hope that they are not marked bills, that would not be fun with the FBI and/or DEA/ATF show up at the door asking where you were the night the bank 1 state over got robbed.

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
Anyone ever watch the movie "No Country For Old Men"?..........

Sent from my DROIDX

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
I have found and returned wallets twice but it has been a long time.

There's a comic, I think it was Family Circus, where the husband is raking leaves and he finds a dollar bill. He keeps on raking and this happens two more times. Meanwhile the wives are chatting over the fence, and one asks, What did it take for you to get him to rake the yard? The other answers, Oh, $3.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
A wallet is one thing. 150,000 buried in your garden is a different story.

G

·
i don't have much in this world, but i do have integrity and faith. i would have done as the man who found the money did, without hesitation.

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
To everyone saying turning it in is the morally right thing to do, why?

It was buried in a garden. Clearly the owners are long gone or dead. The only thing you're doing by turning it in is helping the local PD get some new Dodge Chargers. (and a bunch of people on the net talking about your righteousness)

How about anonymously donating it to charity? Maybe it'd actually go to a good cause.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I would give it to markfish so he would be able to keep trying to trap the white turtle for another couple of years

·
Registered
765 Posts
Anyone ever watch the movie "No Country For Old Men"?..........

Sent from my DROIDX
Hollywood???????
He would have gotten' away scott free if he wasn't stupid enough to return to the scene of a crime and try to give a dying, illegal, drug smugglin' Mexican some water. :confused: Take the words of the wise. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash. Just make sure you clean it before you spend it.

·
don m
1,014 Posts
My luck the money was part of some sting that went wrong for the stingers. If I spent a dollar it would be a cop standing there with cuffs for me and a lot of ?'s I couldnt answer. Also you know the IRS will be at his door when/if he gets it back.
I would without hesitation turn it in...... in front of a bunch of news cameras.
I had a friend who was lucky enough to win a sheriff auction in Phx, Az on a matching pickup and go fast boat. The only real problem was the windows would not roll down. When he got it home and took the doors apart, you guessed it, Two killos of coke in each door that they missed when they rico'ed the vehicles. The sheriff deputies thought they had found all his stash under the bed liner. He called the sheriff to turn it in. They told him that they would have to arrest him for possesion if they came out to pick it up. Something about the case being closed so they couldnt add it to his case. His next call was to the news media to meet with the deputies and him when he turned it over to them. Funny how they just picked up the coke and left with out taking so much as a statement from him.
with that being said and it was me, The first guy I tried to sell the stuff to would be a cop (had I not turned it in). As for the money, Yep, turn it in.
Sure do like my freedom guys.
JMTCW
donm

1 - 20 of 54 Posts