Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a general purpose fly rod to target smallies and carp in local rivers, what weight would you recommend? I guess the average size fish would be between 3 to 10 pounds. I'm thinking 6wt?

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
For a general purpose fly rod to target smallies and carp in local rivers, what weight would you recommend? I guess the average size fish would be between 3 to 10 pounds. I'm thinking 6wt?
You're thinking right. I recently discovered the 6 weight to be just about perfect for everything, especially in a medium action.

·
Registered
432 Posts
a 6 or 7 would let you target those bigger fish like the carp...

But smalllies on a 4-5 are a gas!

Personally, my favorite go-to, and my most used rod, is my St Croix 5 weight, but if I was going for steelies or big carp I'd probably use my Pflueger 6-7 wt.

In my humble opinion, of course.

·
Fly guy
1,239 Posts
I personally have a 4, 5, 6, and an 8. You wouldn't know it to see me though because I almost always fish the six. TFO bob clouser six weight. I do all my carping with it, most of my bass, all of my steelhead and most other general purpose. Its good stuff. Pair it with a nice heavy reel and it casts like a rocket, though the bvk is the same price and an awesome rod.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree a 6 is a great all-purpose rod. I use mine for carp, smallmouth, largemouth, and steelhead.

Most of my carp and smallmouth fishing right now is done on a small, wooded stream so I use my four weight, not so much because it's a four weight but because it's only 7'6", instead of the 9' length of my six weights. The shorter length seems to work better for me on this small water. But it is sometimes a bit light for the smallie flies.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
A huge majority of my fishing is done with a 2wt, but when the wind picks up or I am waters with known big bass and carp, I'll switch to my 5wt - more than enough backbone for any central Ohio fish south of giant catfish or such. For when I finally get to go steelheading, or hitting the surf on the beach, I have an 8wt.
[/COLOR]
To be honest, I prefer to fish on the lighter side of equipment so that I can really enjoy the fish - the fight - every nuance of the soul of the fish as it pulls, lunges, jumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts