close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What was the weirdest thing you ever ate?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, Jan 24, 2005.

1. The original post was lost during the upgrade so here we go again...

OK I've ate the occasional bug but only when $$$ was involved LOL
    My weirdest had to be Kangaroo that a friends son brought back for me from the "Land Down Under"...
    He bought it for me at the airport where it is packaged in dry ice and even Government Inspected!!!

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

on purpose: snails

by mistake: maggots

dont ask.

3. Fried cockroaches and Iguana while in Tampico, Mecico around 1972. Not bad if you just forgot about what you were eating. Had some terrific fisheye soup at a Phillipine wedding. Even went back for 2nd's and 3rd's after being told what it was. It was almost as good as Big Daddy's gumbo. Muskrat with squirrel brains at a lodge in Canada. Same lodge served unborn rabbit. Kinda crunchy but delicious. The cook there was French. Then there was the fried as it was caught served to me by Big Daddy and Corey at last years Tappan get together. Just couldn't bring myself to ruin that perfectly cooked, whole, uncleaned bluegill with the beautiful crust. Funny but neither could anyone else.

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

one of many weird things i ate..
    deep fried bamboo worms.. looks like those in tequila bottles.. taste nutty and crunchy..

5. lol Row v. Wade

As for the weirdest thing I've ever eaten was probably a Japanese Beetle back in my younger younger days!

6. I almost hesitate to post due to all these exotic appetites. One night a pal of mine introduced me to crayfish tails roasted on coleman lantern. We were extremely hungry while night fishing. The crayfish tails reminded me of lobster and I wished I would have had butter that night.

We had planned a short trip and the fish made us stay all night. Thus no lunch was packed. I often am tempted to try them under much more civilized conditions.

7. Use to eat them from local streams high in the mtns of Pa when I was younger and with butter hmnmnmn nummy
    They can be purchased at some fish stores with one being the store by Southgate in Maple Hts...

8. Been there

I really can't rember the things i've ate, is that good or bad :confused:

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Hey Ron,

No wonder that cat bit you, he thought you were going to eat him!

10. catlover

catlover Banned

Anybody remember Jack in the Box? Seems like back in the seventies kangaroos' got to be a big pest for farmers down under. They were harvested under gov. supervision and the meat was inspected and sold. Some wise guy bean counter at jack in the box got wind of the deal to be had on gov. inspected ground meat. This was during one of those 'artificial' shortages to 'JACK' up the cost of beef. Well they got caught for selling it as their Jumbo Jack, with out a disclaimer. Law suits, etc. Don't see many jack in the boxes anymore, do you?
    Question: Whats worse, serving kangaroo meat, or putting something that they actually called jack sauce on my burger.
    Just a thought-
    Catz(the poor guy who still can't register on the faftasy fishing league).

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

BBQ Bear livers

12. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I have eaten plenty a strange thing that was not that bad, from BBQ bugs when I lived in the S/W, the PA Dutch specalty pig stomach (which is one of my favorite meals),all sorts of wild game from bear to alligater when I was cooking for a living.

There is one thing that sticks out in my mind though, it had the strangest texture to it, I still don't know if I liked it or not. I was on a business trip in DC, the company we where visiting was owned by a man from Korea, he took us out to a nice restaurant for some Peking Duck and other house specialties. After we had gone throught a few courses we where talking about food, he mentioned to me that the place had gotten in his favorite item for him just for this occasion, he asked if I would try it with him. There you have it, the one and only time I have ever eaten Sea Cucumber (and no it was not a vegetable), was not all that bad, just don't know if it was all that good either.

13. ......[​IMG]...... [​IMG]

14. Hey Miso if you still don't know maybe you need another try at it???
    I was born in Brownsville Pa know where that is?

15. catlover

catlover Banned

Heres a weird one. I was the chef at resturaunt in Denver. Every September we had a wild game festival. Things like New Zealand RoeBuck, Boar shanks and chops, rabbit and buffalo(we even did deer meat sliders). One of the most popular appetizers on the regular menu were the crab stuffed mushrooms with a mornay sauce. We tried the same thing using rattle snake. The snake came in frozen/vaccuum sealed. It was coiled up like a bull whip, about 4 and a half feet long. We thawed it out and found it impossible to get off the bones, as it wasn't cooked or filleted.
    We threw it in the steamer, and the meat just flaked off the bones. One problem, it smelled worse than wet dog, in fact like really bad wet dog. Since we had a similiar item with the crab muwshrooms, I added diced red pepper to make them stand out.
    Needless to say we had the classic ditzy waitress prone to freaking out under stress. She came back screaming that she had to be sure to get the crab 'shrooms(one of her best tippers was afraid of getting the snake). Not only did they look a bit different, I seperated them especially for her. We were a bit busy, and when I turned back the snake ones were gone and so was she.
    When I got it figgured out she was afraid to tell them. They had already eaten them any way.. Not 20 minutes later, the guest came back an thanked the kitchen, gave them a $10 dollar tip. He ate there all the time and always had the mushrooms. He said that they were the best he ever had. . He was so afraid that something would go wrong and he would get the snake. Again thanking us for our vigillance, he left. I forgot to metion he was the food critic for the Denver Post.

Maybe a future rule of thumb would be, "As long as somebody doesn't suggest that it tastes just like chicken, theres nothing to worry about."

Catz out

16. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Fried Frog Legs, have had them a few times and they are pretty tasty

17. At this point i'm sure most people have had it so it's not too crazy anymore but i absolutely love alligator. Couldn't believe it when i saw it on a menu in detroit so we tried it and loved it. Now there are some restaurants around here with great gator bites and even a local bar had them for a while.

18. Turnip Greens at Cracker Barrel

19. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Never heard of Brownsville, what part of the state is that. I lived in mostly the Harisburg area and also Williamsport for a couple years. If you are from a pa dutch family you probably know what I am talking about with the pig stomach, or as it is better known there as Hog Maw. Every time I am back we always stop by the butchers at the Lemoyne Farmers Market and get some cleaned stomach as well as the beer dist for some yuengling. Great dish, most people who eat it and do not know what hog maw is normally really like it so much they don't care when you tell them it is pig stomach.

As far as another try at the sea cucumber, maybe if it is available. After I had it I looked it up, come to find out it is basically a giant sea slug. I guess that kind of slug is not affected by salt, really not much flavor just a very strange texture.