Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always used mono and have been very happy with it . But lately I have been fishing heavy cover and losing big fish. Thats why I went to braid on my spinning reel. Question, whats the best knot for braid, I love the palamar knot but have trouble tying it on braid. Thaks for the help

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. What do you think about the Spiderwire stealth line? I bought some older line that sounds as if it's sawing through my line guides. So is the stealth line better on the guides. Thanks for your time:)

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
Palomar x3

How are you losing fish? I am assuming the knot is failing? Or is it the line? What size braid are you using?

If you want a quite braid, you need to get one with more carriers. Spiderwire is a 4-way braid. A 6 or 8 way braid will be much quieter and rounder too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Palomar x3

How are you losing fish? I am assuming the knot is failing? Or is it the line? What size braid are you using?

If you want a quite braid, you need to get one with more carriers. Spiderwire is a 4-way braid. A 6 or 8 way braid will be much quieter and rounder too.
Am losing fish to mono line in heavy cover, no knot failing. This is why I went to braid, only been using it one day. But now I don't like the sound it makes, like it's sawing through the eyes on my rod. Thanks for the tip, i will try the 6 or 8 way it's got to be better.

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Listen to me now and believe me later. The only knot you need for a terminal on braid is the uni knot. The only time this knot breaks on braid is when you birds nest and a heavy lure suddenly comes to a complete stop at the end of your cast. That knot will never break on a fish or a snag.

The thing that makes braid difficult to tie with many knots is that it is so thin that it it often leaves no hole to put the tag end through. The only reason it breaks in the situation I described is that you can pull on braid all day and not break it, but a sudden shock can make it snap where you have a nick or crimp in the line.

The great thing about a uni knot is that once you get it down, you can tie it in seconds...even if it is dark out. I think it's the easiest knot to tie. You also want to get the double uni down if you start using flouro leaders on your braid.

BTW, I have started to use what I saw called a braided knot as a terminal on fluoro. It ain't easy, but whoa...compete confidence in it once you get it down.

Another thing I have learned very recently through trial and error is that when you tie the double uni to make a leader, you can leave a little bit of tag end on the flouro to allow for slippage. I used to trim it flush so that it would not "tick" through the line guides, but I found out that flouro will fray on that tag and then go through the line guides smoothly after a few casts.

Yeah, the palomar might not break in the situation I described, but that is a very rare situation, and you aren't losing a fish in it either.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i,ve been using the improved clinch knot for my braid. its always worked good for me. i use the 15 lb test for fishing early season walleye on dale hollow and i use 65 lb test for trolling dipsy,s or really i use the lite bite slide divers. then i use anything from 30 to 50 lb test for fishing saltwater in fed. and never had any problems with the improved clinch. now just the regular clinch knot wont work it will just slip through. you have to put the tag back through the knot, which is what makes it the improved clinch. i do add a couple of extra twists before i go through the bottom. just to add alittle safety to my knots. good luck and good fishing.
sherman

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I dont use anything but a polamer knot regardless of line type. I have never broken off at the knot since swiching to that knot years ago.

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
I should have added that I am a stream fisher who uses 10lb Power Pro on spinning and 15-20 on a bait caster with 8 lb. Seagur InvisX as leader. I'm guessing that a lot of the responses are green bassers fishing 40 lb. braid or higher.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Jimmy Houstons improved polymere knot,double line on the hook eye, makes it twice as strong on the pull, NEVER breaks at the knot, also a drop of super glue , makes any knot stronger!! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
The only knot I use on all types of line is the Palomar, I've yet to have that knot fail me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks streamstalker I looked it up and the uni knot gets the thumbs up for braid. for mono it has to be the palamar knot, lets see who can answer this. When tying a palamar knot whats the most important part to look at to make sure it's tied right?

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
The only knot I use on all types of line is the Palomar, I've yet to have that knot fail me.
Palomar gets my vote also for all types of line.
100% reliable.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
Thanks streamstalker I looked it up and the uni knot gets the thumbs up for braid. for mono it has to be the palamar knot, lets see who can answer this. When tying a palamar knot whats the most important part to look at to make sure it's tied right?
Don't get it twisted. Prior to cinching you must have a clean figure 8...otherwise the knot can cut itself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts