close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to use?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Huntinbull, Jun 5, 2007.

1. If I were to only get 6 flies, which six would you suggest? Fishing for panfish and bass.

Favorite fly for Gills? and what size?

Favorite fly for Bass? size?

What flies for carp?

Huntinbull

2. I'm sure everyone has their favorites...here are a few of mine:

Sunfish/Rock Bass - Black Gnat, Wet Fly size 10 and Hex Nymph size 8.

Smallmouth Bass - Hornburg Streamer and Brown Wooly Worm (size 8 or 10)

Carp - Halfback Nymph and Brown Wooly Worm (size 10)

I also like to use the Wulff Dry Flies, especially Gray, size 10, for Bass and Sunfish.
    zspook

3. jfan

jfan

Bluegill - Bully Spider 10-12, Foam Spider 12, anything tiny and black.

LM Bass - Dahlberg Diver 2-4, Sneaky Pete 1-4, Calcasieu Pig Boat 1-2

SM Bass - Woolly Booger 2-6, Clouser 2-6, Sneaky Pete 2-6

I tie my own versions of all of these.

Not much experience with the smallmouths yet, but I plan on doing a lot this summer. Never caught a carp on a fly nor tried to. Sounds like fun, though.

4. Thank you for making this post..

i'm new to fly fishing and was looking to purchase a few flies for panfish/bass and these posts really help start me in the right direction without spening money on flies that aren't effective.

5. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

The guys are right on. I would add bunny leach's in black olive white and cheartruse for large and smallies. Smallie in creeks and rivers love the bunny stuff. THe sponge spiders are hot with all the bluegill guys that come thru. Clousers are a go too fly for any spiecies any water rivers creeks lakes salt water. Cheartruse over white is a hot one or match the colors to the predominate bait fish in your area. Coyoties are a good one ( I call them a cheater fly becouse they have a little spinner attatched at the head but are very effective none the less. Have a crayfish pattern on hand to match you local population. Wooly bugger in olive and brown. cone heads are a plus. The deer hair divers and frog patterns and sneaky peats in cheartruse are go to top water flys frog patters and big snake patterns about eight to ten inches are hare to throw but the big fish will crush them. Unwieghted wooly worms san juan worms pill bugs nymphs and in general buggy stuff in smaller sizes for carp. Look for tailing carp on mud flats and back bays it is a blast sight fishing. Thats why they call them the "golden or fresh water bone fish. Alot lilke flats fishing in salt. Ok so maybe a llittle more than six flies but its its good to have options. Also buy two of each because you will undoubtedly loose the one there hitting and be bumed when it snaggs up on something. Best of luck and let us know how and what you choose works out. S

6. I agree with sevenx on the idea of having options. I usually start with my favorites and will let the fish "tell me what they want and how they want it!"

It is strange, but when the fish are aggressively feeding, almost anything seems to work. I have not noticed warm water species being too selective when they are in a positive feeding mood...however, they seem to be more selective when they are nuetral or negative, especially during cold fronts. It is during these times that it helps to have a good selction of flies.

Anyone else observe that tendency with warm water species?
    z

7. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Yah, I see that alot, it does seem when there on they will hit just about anything that somewhat resembles the forage base. I have caught smallies in the same hole going from sneaky petes to streamers to crayfish. When fish are inactive I think the most important thing is presentation. you really want a natural motion and the swing with streamers is effective during inactivity in my experience. Putting the fly into the vision zone is critical for a strike because they are not actively looking for food. Most in not all fish are oppertunistic feeders so a good presentaion will pull out the natural instict in a fish to strike. S

8. Thanks for the AWESOME INFO! In the past I would stand in front of the fly box at Gander and be just boggled. They ALL look like bugs to me, how do I know what the fish want? Now I have a place to start and the confidence to examine the flies from a fishy perspective. Such as "What will it look like wet? float, sink or neutral?" Thanks again for the info.

Huntinbull

9. My favorites:
    Gills..sponge beetle, yellow woolly worm with grizzly hackle & red tail, red butt ant.

Bass..bunny strip on circle hook, sneaky pete, dahlberg diver.

I would mention Clouser, but there can be danger casting them...to self & rod. I mostly fish ponds, so the above patterns work well for me.
    Mike

10. I think I could get by with one, the yellow crackle back wooly worm. Powerful stuff. Small enough for the panfish to devour, but big enough to attrack some smallies too.

But all the other selections mentioned I use too...

Although I haven't used the duechb*g diver.

11. Ohiotuber,
    What danger to rod and self? I have one clousser but have yet to try it out. Thanks for the tips also.

Huntinbull

12. Being heavily weighted, you need to open your casting loop.If you are zinging that puppy near your ear/head & are a little off, OUCH! Also, a weighted fly hitting your graphite rod during the cast can shear that rod into an extra piece very quickly.
    Mike