close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to use for groundhog bait?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Jun 30, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I have a "pet" ground hog in the back yard under my shed, and was wondering what would be the best bait for a trap. I have a friend with a humane cage trap, but I need something to entice him in there! He is a real chubby little guy and I don't want to kill him. What should I use? I have ruled out red meat and pizza and any pasta products! :D

Just for the heck of it... if I wouldn't have asked, I would have put out lettuce, apple slices, celery, and tomatoes. Let's see how close that would have been!

2. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

Just put a open end cage trap where he comes out. They have the type that opens on both ends and he can see right though it and will walk though and hit a tray and both ends drop and he is caught. It might take a few days but he will go in it.

3. Alright, these bait suggestions come straight from a hillybilly who used to not only trap groundhogs but eat the things too (he swears they are delicious). Anyway, his suggestion for bait is stingbeans or some type of melon. For the beans I think he means unprocessed not in a can ;)

I'd suggest the best bait would be to build a road near the cage, those things don't seem to be able to resist playing in the street judging from the numbers of them I see splattered along the roadside...but I guess that wouldn't be too humane :rolleyes: :)

Steve

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

beans is a good option, i know ours alwasy gets ate.

5. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

What are you gonna do with it after you trap it? Have you ever seen the teeth and claws on these critters. Ya outta just toss him in a crock pot with some BBQ sauce. lol

6. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Hey you guys, wait til "Larry the Cable Guy" gets ahold of this one! :D Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Maybe a female groung pig or versa/vissa. We made Larry what he is today?
    Fishcrazzzzzzzzzzy

8. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

apples have always worked for me

9. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Would an H2O Melon work? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. Did not think of string beans. It seems when I used to have a garden growing up in Brimfield, they always DID get eaten. Will try that along with apples. I should get the trap in the next few days, I will post the results! Heck, I'll even take pics and maybe even weigh and measure him! (not!) :D

10. I have always had good luck with lead

11. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I'd bet a field of clover or alphalfa hay would work....might get more than you bargined for though :D