Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to put a plot in on a woods we own. There is a clear cut the length of the property where a water/sewer line was run right along the prime travel corridors and bedding areas. No shortage of grass and browse but no crop fields within a mile or so.

What would be the preferred crop? Clover? MUX of clover and oats? Never put in a plot so any advise is great.

I have bob-cat with any attachment at my disposal, have 40 hp tractor available. Have hydro seeder available. Basically prep work of land is no problem just not sure what to plant.

As a side note. Anyone wanting help pitting in plots I would gladly trade machine work for hunting permission. ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If you have enough room I would split it up into several crops. Turnips are great. Then you can frost seed clover next winter into bare dirt after the deer basically till the plot for you. Do part in a clover mix with rye or oats(cereal rye, not rye grass).

·
Registered
860 Posts
IMO..... Clover and a mix of winter rye or wheat and oats are the best!!!!!

I have never had a ton of success with Turnips/rape/radishes. Other people have, in the urban area I didn't.. That's 5 years of mixing them in.

I have watched them walk though turnips after several good frost to get to winter wheat and clover. They never touched the turnips.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Turnips are excellent in the late season, if they last that long. We had 2 acres last year that the deer started hammering by the beginning of bow season. They don't have to frost before the deer eat them. They start with the greens and finish off the plot eating bulbs. By January we had nothing left but dirt. This was the earliest that they have ever completely ate the entire crop. We used to grow clover only, but about 5 years ago we started rotating our plots between clover/rye and turnips. This greatly extends the forage base over the course of the seasons.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funny how some deer love the turniips and some don't. Where I plnat Clover and cereal grains are best. The turnips and other brassicas go untouched for the most part.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts