Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lowrance 135x gps/sonar combo of which I only use the sonar, because I have another GPS on board. I have been considering the new lowrance HDS 5X sonar. Do you guys feel that color and high def are worth the investment?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a Raymarine multi unit with an "HD" sonar that works very well on Lake Erie in the 200 khz setting. I don't think it has a great deal of leverage against regular fishfinders but the color is pretty to look at. You may be able to tell a little more detail with the HD. I can see the mayfly clouds and fish suspended at the bottom without an issue. I'd say if you have a few extra bucks to throw at a new bell and whistle just go for it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
The hd units are great when they work! I would wait a year before I would buy one, give them time to get the bugs out and trust me there are some bugs yet!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
good question. are you catching fish now with the units you have? Do you have 700 or 800 bucks to spend for the HDS5? Will the screen be big enough? I've been kicking around upgrading to color as well but I run in split screen mode a lot so i can track my course and look at fish finder. Personally, I don't think the HDS5 would be big enough. Right now, hard to justify the bucks for the HDS7. I guess as long as my B&W LMS15 is still working, I'll stick with that ...unless i see a big sale! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think i'll take papa scotts advice and wait for a year prior to my purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts