Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the small "Scorpion" spoons and a few of the medium sized (spoon is about 3") for walleye on Erie. I have had better success with the scorpion sized sppons. Am I using the right size(s)? I got enough info from OGF, vhf radio, etc. on the color selection, but nothing on size! Does size matter?

Any help for the Erie trolling rookie would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
ohiojmj,

I've been running the small spoons, as I normally do most times and doing well. The last trip while trolling east of cleveland we noticed that the walleye were spitting up 4-5", what looked like smelt, in the livewell.

I will be hitting Erie again this week with Corey and plan on running some larger spoons at the same time to see how they produce in comparison to the small ones.

I'll let you know how they work for us.

Kim

·
Registered
367 Posts
i always try both of the smaller sizes to see if there's a preference. sometimes i can't find a preference but probably most of the time they prefer the little ones early in the year. the problem is i hate the hooks on the small ones so i replace them with a slightly larger size.

good luck- pik-n-fin

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Just thought I would check before I buy too many of the wrong size. I must admit that the 10# eye I caught a few weeks back looked silly on the business end of a small scorpian (rainbow color). I thought about changing the hook also, but haven't yet.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I always start out with a couple of each sizes, and see what the fish want. Sometimes they prefer the larger size, and you definitely catch a lot less trash fish on the bigger sizes.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thought you should know... I have found that using larger spoons (pro kings & northern king spoons) seems to be preferred by steelhead. Run your baits higher in the water column and kick your speed up to 3 mph or a bit higher. Occasionally, a walleye will take it too. Funny thing is, I have a boat load of larger spoons 'cause that's what was used not too long ago. Just when you get a good selection of baits the 'eyes wanna screw you up and start preferring sumthin' else! Go figure!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
large spoons and fast trolls is my style of fishing. The smallest I like to use is the smaller silver streaks that are about half way between a stinger scorpion and a reg stinger. Alot less spinners and seemingly larger fish. I like speeds of 2.6 to 3.2 this time of year, but I am usually passing other boats like they are standing still.

Scott

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Don't underestimate the hooking and holding ability of the standard hooks on the "Scorpion" stingers. I've never lost a fish because of the hooks themselves. They will not bend even with the larger fish and applying a lot of pressure...in other words if it ain't broke don't fix it. :D

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the point is that the treble hook on the scorpion spoon seems rather small in the mouth of a Lake Erie sized walleye...

I guess I'll continue to try both scorpion (small) and medium spoons on the eyes. I'll be trying those spoons in Quebec for pike/walleye for a week starting 6/26. Also got a large sized stinger for further testing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts