close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What size hooks for rubber worms

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by bellyboater, Jun 12, 2005.

1. I've been using 2/0 Gamakatsu offset shank hooks. I have no complaints about their ability to hook the fish but seem to gut hook more fish than I care to.

2. When I'm using smaller baits, I'll generally go with a 2/0 straight shank hook. I'm starting to throw bigger worms now, and will generally be using a 4/0. I used to try and slide that 2/0 into everything, but lost a lot of fish because the hook was getting buried in the plastic or not getting good penetration. Have not noticed a drop off in bites going with the larger hook size.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I use a 4.0 or 5.0 on my worms. I hardly ever gut hook a fish now. These may seem to big but they are not at all. Try them, I think you'll agree

4. 2/0 x 2 = 4"
    3/0 x 2 = 6"
    4/0 x 2 = 8"
    5/0 x 2 = 10"

Thats how I do it. Rarely gut hooked.

5. I use 4/0 for everything. Started with 1/0 about ten years ago, and we found the bigger the hooks, the better the hooksets. It was evolutionary process, moving to 2/0, then 3/0 and eventually to 4/0. More a matter of convincing ourselves that a 6" worm will work with a 4/0 hook.

I also tend to fish some pretty clear lakes/ponds with easily-spooked bass. As a result, the "ker-plunk" of any bullet weight pretty much won't work. So when casting a worm with no lead, the little added weight of a 4/0 will help get a little more distance from a cast.

6. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

The supposed formula is take half of the length of the worm that your using, and that should tell you what the optimum hook size is.
    4" = 2ot
    6" = 3ot
    8" = 4ot

I have found that hook sizes do vary slightly from one hook manufacturer to another.
    I've been fishing with these 10" worms lately with a 5ot hook...I've had alot of success, but it also seems that I am missing more hits than I would have missed if using a smaller hook. To me, the 5ot hooks that I am using just seem kinda dull compared to the 2 or 3ot. Maybe its just the brand.. not sure..

7. I use a 3/0 EWG for most of my soft plastic baits. I like to keep it simple, and I only have to buy one size worm hook for all of my fishing.

If the soft plastic bait is too small for a 3/0 EWG, I will use a circle hook rather than a worm hook.

I’ve never used a soft plastic bait that I felt needed a hook bigger than 3/0.