Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get an anchor setup for my 12' aluminum Jon boat. I found a 8 lb mushroom anchor for pretty cheap but I'm not sure if that's a good size or not? Also, what size line should I use? Thanks.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Depends where you fish? I fish Portage lakes and Berlin with a 14ft V-hull and use 10# which does me just fine. I do carry 2 anchors just incase. I have had the line(non nylon) a few years but know it is atleast 1000# don't think it is heavier. Length of line depends on where also. You want atleast 2ft(preferably 3ft) of line per FOW. As an example 50ft is fine for Nimi and most of Portage lakes but Berlin you really want to carry 100ft or more.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be fishing mostly lakes and reservoirs with a muddy or rocky bottom. Does anyone have experience with mushroom or river anchors? They sell both at Walmart and I'm trying to decide which one to buy.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Both mine are mushrooms which hold just fine even on Berlin which does has some current under the smaller bridges.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
you should be just fine with either one. i like the plow type myself, but then i fish alot of current. then i sometimes anchor in deeper water. and it takes alot less weight to hold with them. but your type fishing you should be ok unless you just get alot of wind. i have one of those electric cord carriers from lowe,s. and i,ve got 300 ft of 5/16 rope on it. so im good to about 100 ft of water. the standard is 3 ft of rope for every 1 ft of water. good luck.
sherman

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So tonight I was the windshield..

Went to meijer and found 10lb. mushroom anchors on clearance for $12.49 each and 100ft. anchor line for $5.49. I got two of each so I'm hoping to try it out this weekend. Thanks for all the tips.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
You can also use the old rent a boat method - a coffee can filled with concrete. The new plastic cans with the handles would make a sweet little anchor. Spent many a day still fishing in canada with a coffee can anchor and they don't always hold the best when you have a rocky bottom and a lot of wind.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You aren't the first person to bring up the concrete coffee can method. For as cheap as anchors are, I'd rather just have a couple real anchors. Just seems to legitimize the boat.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Lima store. All the boating stuff was on clearance. Must be a seasonal thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts