Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I posted this in the Lounge with no response so I'll post here....

I became a boat owner last year and have been on the lake a few times. I have went over the rule books a lot and have been out with my grandfather quit a bit when I was younger. I make sure I have proper vests on the boat along with flares, toolbox, extinguisher etc....

I just read the thread about the boat sinking and it really got me thinking about how safe I want to be.

I have a marine radio in the boat but have only really tested it a few times. I don't really turn it on when I'm out. I know it's set on one of the standard channels for calling out and know how to use it but thought I would post up here to get some info from you guys. It seems like some people are on some channels while others are on other channels? anyone care to break those down for me?

I'm also thinking about getting a GPS unit. I'm thinking about possibly getting a portable though for hiking and mountain biking. Anyone else using these?

I guess what i'm asking is to post up a list of safety equipment on your boat. I'd like to be as safe as possible and be there for other people who may need help in surrounding areas.

Thanks!

Nick

·
Time to fish!
4,998 Posts
in my opinion most people dont have a line and throwable readily accesable not just the cushion and the tangled up anchor line in the bottom of the boat but a life ring and a line all ready tied onto it ready to go

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nick,

Not sure what lakes you go to...But I would suggest a spare bilge pump or two mounted to a board.....Make sure the ends have alligator clips on them so you can hook them up to your battery and throw it on the floor.....Make sure hoses are long enough to make it over the side of the boat. This is real valuable if you get swamped on big water!!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Well I have the throwable type 4 device with a rope on it plus the cushions so I'm covered there.

I even have a picture! It's kind of funny because when my girlfriend goes fishing with us she naps so this is what she sees :D

As for the boating course. I've been there. I'm 24 so I fell into the category of having to have a course and exam required to legally operate a boat. I'm really glad I took it. It helped A LOT. I know my boat is legally safe if it is to be inspected but to me, being legal doesn't seem safe enough.

Thunderhawk, I REALLY like that idea. Seems like a very good failsafe to have and will definitely plan on putting one of those together in the next few days. I'm actually trying to test out my current bilge pump because I have never seen it kick on (which is a good thing for the most part). I'll pull the drain plug and some water will come out after trips. Doesn't seem like much so it's probably not enough to kick the bilge on but I want to know it works if the situation arises. Do you have any pictures of your setup? How big is it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.