close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What reel?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by fishing_marshall, Sep 18, 2004.

1. I've been using rhino spincast reels lately and they haven't been working to good for me the past few months. Any recomendations on what reel to get? I want something with 12lb test and something that will last me awhile. thanks.

2. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Marcia, Zach and I have three reels that we are hooked on. Marcia and Zach use an open face Quantum Energy PTi. They were purchased at Gaylans for $119 and included the rod. I use a Shimano Stradic 2500FH open face (Purchased for around $120) and my personal favorite Shimano Castaic Baitcasting Reel (It took a little time to get the hang of adjusting the backlash and break system but was well worth the time). I think that reel retails for around $165 but I picked it up at Gaylans for a lot less on a special deal. To some those might be pricey (I suppose others would consider them inexpensive) but I think they were well worth the money and would recommend any of the three as durable, smooth casting, and retrieving reels. The Baitcaster is best as a pitching Reel but works quite nicely as a casting reel too.

3. A good friend on here, River Walker, told me to always spend as much money as you can afford. I carry three baitcasts and two spinning reels to most tournaments. One SuperFree Castaic, one SuperFree Curado, and a regular Curdao. Spinning reels, I have a Symetre and Stradic, both 400 series. I absolutely love them, but I know many people who love their Quantum Energy series reels too. To me, it's all about the marriage of the rod, the reel, and the line. It puts the best tool in your hand and increases the likelihood of a good cast, hookset, and landing of a fish. I wouldn't own anything but a Shimano.

Eric

4. I'll put in another vote for the Shimano Castaic and Curado reels. I've been using my curado's and castaics for several years now and they hold up really well. I'm sure that if you can find the money to buy even one of these vs 2 of something else for the same price it will be worth the money spent.

Good luck!

5. Shimano and Quantum in the $90 range and above. For a lower cost reel I think the Mitchel 300 and Pfleuger Trion series are a good buy. I fish a lot and have the Shimano spinning and baitcasting reels in the $125 to $160 range and am very satisfied with them. Purchase the best you can afford and enjoy the new reel. :)

6. How do you keep baitcasting reels from getting tangled?

7. JBJ

JBJ

Even though I agree with all of the recommendations posted on this thread, it sounds like you might be able to restore the use of the current spincaster. If you haven't changed out the line in quite some time, I would recommend doing so. You might either have line twist or just plain worn out line. One thing I have learned over the years is that spincasters are quite tempermental and need regular maintenance to continue working worry free. It's up to you if you are looking to upgrade. If so, there are some outstanding recommendations already offered. Myself, I am a Shimano man but am aware of many who choose Quantums, Daiwas, etc. Choose wisely Grasshopper...

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

FISH MARSHELL when you say tangled do you mean the backlash that balls everything up in the line. If so practice and quick thumb. I love the 2 curados i have and have only been using them this yr. i hardly ever have backlash but i fish and try to practice alot.

9. There have been a number of good post's covering this subject. Do a search plus look over the following.

First piece of advice: DON"T TRY TO CAST SIDEARM FOR START!

I started baitcasting 59 years ago and have enjoyed all the benifits of the engineering advances. All the casting assistance devices put on the reels will never replace good old practice. One of the most common mistakes made by the first time Baitcasterman (wow, what a word) is to start learning with too little casting weight. face downwind and start with the rod horizontal and the tip pointing at your target, reel handles pointing upward, not at an angle or to the side. The cast should be completed with the rod tip slightly above your target. Use at least 1/2 ounce of weight which does not require a lot of force (rod loading) and learn to use your thumb to feather the spool as the weight slows down. The spool pressure should be applied to the exposed side of the spool, not on the line. your next step should be to 3/8 ounce weight. When mastered, turn and cast the 3/8 into the wind. When you can successfully cast 3/8 into the wind you are ready for 1/4 ounce downwind. And so on.................... Once you have learned to execute the cast with confidence and authority you will see the weight enter your field of view while your eyes are still on the target. Simply thumb the spool to stop the weight over the target.
    A quality baitcaster coupled with a 6 to 6.5 foot rod and 10 pound test line will allow you to cast a plastic worm without any added weight.
    REMEMBER!!!!!!!! START WITH ENOUGH WEIGHT.
    Hope this gets you started. LOL :)

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

like i said i still have alot to learn. but iam working on it nice advise short.