Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a 13.5 semi-v jon boat 4.5 foot wide, was wondering what size troling motor would be good to use, does anybody think a 30 lbs would be sufficient or would i need to go bigger. down the road i would like to get a motor what size would i need. This boat is used and the sticker that gives all the info for max is no longer able to be read.
any information would be helpfull as i am a new boater.
oh and i beleive it is made by rich.

·
fished with Noah
279 Posts
Your question can be answered 2 ways. buy what you want or buy what you can afford. 36lb motors will do a good job on any lake, but a 50-55lb will get you out to the fish faster. Cost will be a factor too. you can find a good 30-36lb for 100 or so depending on where you look. New 50lb motors go for 200+. Add a battery and you could burn a hole in your wallet quickly. Look around OGF or craigslist for something in your pricerange.
As far as gas motors go, a 10 hp is just about perfect for a 14'. Some are rated for up to 30hp, but those are mostly newer models with welded hulls. Again, look around. you may find a deal on a 6 or 8hp that will get you puttering along nicely, and save you some $$ for MORE rods and reels...
I realize this is all kindof general, but it's a start. You can sink alot of $$ into a boat to make it just right for your style of fishing and location. I know cause i did it too.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Your boat and mine sound very similar. All I can tell you is how mine does. I have a 30# trolling and fish an electric only lake alot. It moves the boat pretty good. The only time it is an issue is with a head wind 10 mph or higher.

You really don't want bigger than a 9.9hp as some lakes are limited to that size. I have a really old 5.5hp and it does me fine thou wouldn't mind a little more speed.

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
I would buy as many lbs thrust as you can afford. You would never regret the decision. With not having a gas motor, I would get a 50-55lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated hopefully will have the boat on the water pretty soon.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
as big as you can find, you can never have enough power when needed, and you don't have to use it full out all the time when used;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts