Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i was growing up, i read the big three religiously. sports afield, field and stream and outdoor life. also a local mag called the outdoor journal published by jerry blinzley. these days i only get fur-fish-game. it's more of a blue collar magazine. how about you folks?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Once in a while I'll grab an issue of Ohio Game&Fish but when I was a kid I couldn't wait for my dads issues of Outdoor Life and Field & Stream to come. I loved the Grandpa and the Kid stories and the Pat McManus ones too! A few years ago I bought a life membership to North American Hunter but I don't care for it anymore it's all Western hunting for Pronghorn or Elk or Mulies. And if it isn't that it's riddled with junk articles that don't pertain to any of the types of hunting that are local to this area. And just about every article is laced with product plugs and are basically the articles authors chest thumping about killing "trophy" animals on glorified game ranches. But since I paid for it I'll continue getting it for life. About all those magazines are good for is something my little ones can look at to see "neat" and "cool" animals.

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
My favorite growing up was Fur Fish and Game. Still is.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ohio Game and Fish and Ohio Outdoor News are my favorites. Actually been meaning to subscribe to Outdoor News. If I do that though, I wont have an excuse to run to Gander all the time for the new issue!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
In my opinion, the very best mag for Ohio, back in the day. Was Ohio fisherman, it was all about the state of Ohio. Not about some place that was half way across the world that I would never fish, i like local mags.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Bassin',Crappie World,In Fishermen,Bass Master,Ohio Game and Fish,Fishin' Facts (think that's the name but I haven't read an issue in about a year or so though so I could be wrong).

·
don m
1,014 Posts
Wow what a memory jolt. When I was growing up I would read from cover to cover as soon as they arrived. Those memorable mags where BOYS LIFE, Field and Stream and outdoorlife, aside from sports mags the old standby of Life magazine with those wonderful Norman Rockwell prints on every cover. The last one was my uncles hidden collection of "True Detective". Kids can always find the best stuff.
Todays mags are Bassmaster, FLWOutdoors, Bassin, In-Fisherman, NorthAmerican Fisherman and all of the associated websites connected to each one. All of these put together a pretty complete video collection that are updated yearly.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Wether you wanted to do that or not. It looks like you sure got a few of us remembering when. Its the weekend and we'll all be waking up soon.
later
donm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i remember the tri-fold abu garcia/mitchell ads in the spring issues of the big three. i would drool over the 300 series reels and the four star conolons. even the glass fly rods were awesome looking. in these ads, they would always show a famous river or fishing destination. all of my paper route money and parking lot money went to fishing stuff in those days.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Field & Stream my 2 year old daughter loves to climb up on the couch beside me and look at the animals and point out the fishys.

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I like Ohio Game and Fish , but I scan through field and stream and read some of the articles when at the doctors office or something. But magazines these days seem to be about 95% advertisements and fluff , with less and less good useful information , so I have stopped buying them altogether.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Nat geo and ranger rick

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Ever notice how many of the ads in the back of field and stream are the same ones from 30 years ago? I hope they updated the 6balloonwheeled aquaterrainmobile...

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
ohio game & fish......funny thing actually, i was looking for the website to find a article that was in a issue that had been thrown out, and thats how i found this website. so glad i did!

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I like Ohio Game and Fish , but I scan through field and stream and read some of the articles when at the doctors office or something. But magazines these days seem to be about 95% advertisements and fluff , with less and less good useful information , so I have stopped buying them altogether.
Sadly this is why I stopped reading In-Fisherman. It was a great magazine until it became one giant advertisement-booklet for Rapala.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
acklac, the show became the same too. i got sick of hearing doug stange talk about raps or eagle claw hooks.

james, like the old taxidermy lessons at home or the x-ray glasses that let you see through clothes........lol?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts