close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What line

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by undertaker, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Headed north in a couple weeks, planning to try to use some Musky fly's i tied.
    What line can i use that wpnt break the bank but i will be able to land a Musky with? Any help will be appreciated

ejsell likes this.
  2. What rod are you using? My 2 cents is don't skimp on an econo WF floating line, this game is hard enough as it is. You'll want a short heavy head that sinks. RIOs musky line (6ips sink) is a nice all around line. SA sonar sink 3/5/7 is my choice because I mainly fish lakes and can get my fly down to 20ft if the situation calls for it. $80-90 MSRP gets you the right tool for the job assuming you have a rod that can throw it.

Now if you are just looking to give it a try for a bit, a floating line can get it done at the right time of year/ situation but is not ideal. A short heavy head is crucial for casting bigger flies, you'll have less fatigue from blind casting all day.

rickerd and ejsell like this.

3. ejsell

ejsell

Sierra Trading Post had 7wt SA Sonar for $29, I think, on Friday. They are seconds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. I got a Cabelas Wind River 8 w
    With a WR3 reel

5. Maybe just try looping some sink tip to the end of whatever line you have for a quick and cheap solution or find a deal like what ejsell mentioned. An 8 weight is pretty light for musky, if you end up getting into it you will eventually want a heavier setup.

6. Ipack

Ipack Formally Flymaker

I don't believe the wind river rod series is a fast enough rod for the task . I mean it'll work but big fly's with a heavy line on a medium-ish action rod wont be very efficient . Keep you false casting to a min. work about 40ft of line and shoot the rest . Now fighting a muskie on that well ......it'll be fun for a good while .

7. Thanks for the info an advice, i will try to get it on the go pro

8. ejsell

ejsell

STP has those lines for $21 now. Just ordered one for myself.

9. ejsell

ejsell

Sierra Trading Post