Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about tired of testing line and wasting money.
I have a Diawa exceller baitcaster. I currently have 12 lb flourocarbon on it that works fairly well using reel magic and a lot of weight. I want to find dual set up, sort of a middle ground for medium cat and bass fishing.
I may be winding the line of the wrong way or something ?
WHat is the proper way to spool any way ?
Any ideas ?

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
I would match the line type and diameter to your rod, lure and to your experience with a baitcaster. What length and power rod are you fishing it on, and what type of baits are you using?

Not all FCs are the same. Some are supple with a lot of stretch and some are very stiff with zero stretch. I prefer Sunline FCs, but they are on the stiffer side. If you want something more manageable, Sunline Super Natural is very nice. So are the Sufix nylon monos.

When spooling, the line should come off the top of the holder onto the top of the spool.

I'd also take a look at how you are adjusting your brakes. With the Mag Z, you need to turn the brakes off, adjust the spool tension so the bait drops slowly and then put the brakes at 6 or 7 if you are new to baitcasters or new to a particular bait. Work the brakes down until you are happy with distance and control.

When your thumb gets more experienced, you can adjust the spool tension until any side to side spool motion stops (the spool is now pretty free) and then put your brakes on 5 or so.

HTH!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts