close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Lb. -test to use for trolling?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by stcroixjoe, Sep 28, 2005.

1. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe (stcroixjoe)

Just wondering what size is the best to use for trolling with dispy divers and spoons ect... for walleye

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have tried the super braids and don't like them. once they tangle they're done for.i use 30# braided dacron . no stretch ,last for years .

4. Does anyone have a chart for trolling using power pro 30lb using dipsey divers?

5. I agree with the 30# PP for dipseys.

A book called "Precision Trolling Big-Water Edition" has dice curve charts for dipseys, jets, lead-core, etc. Well worth the $25 price.

Tim

6. I have the precison trolling book but it does not correct for the power pro line

7. Precision Trolling is based on line diameter. Look at your line spool and it should list the line diameter.

8. Walleyechaser: Shortdrift is correct. Check the front of the book there is a conversion chart for different diameter lines. You just need to know the diameter of your # test of power pro. I believe the 50# I have on my musky trolling rods equates to like 12# mono. So if I troll small crankbaits I use a foot deeper depth than I want the lure to run to find the distance back.

Barry

9. Superlines are much more bouyant than monofilament lines and this becomes a real factor when tossing light jigs and such. For instance I can fish a 1/16th ounce jig on 2# test mono or better yet flouro at a 15 foot depth rather effectively but I can not maintain that effectiveness with Fireline 10/2 due to its bouyancy. In fact it is difficult to get some jigs to sink very deep at all. How much effect does this have on trolling a crankbait? Does it have more effect on trolling spoons and harness since they are not diving?

10. You are correct that in the front of the prcision trolling is a correction factor.
    The correction is based on 10 lb test, the diving chart for the dipsey's are based on a 20 lb test. Does this mean that a 28% correction factor is used or just 10%? That is my problem. The other problem is caused by the line counter itself not reading correct. I was surprized at the error in the line counter.