close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind of spider bit me?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Oct 6, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Last night, I grabbed a sweatshirt from a hamper in the basement and put it on. I immediately felt something wrong and knew something was crawling on my back inside my shirt. Out dropped a LARGE spider that was tannish gray with visible hairs. I stomped on it right away.

Over the next couple hours I swelled up real bad. My eyes were so puffy they almost shut. My fingers were not too visibly puffy, but when I clenched them, I could feel the tightness of swelling. My upper body broke out in what I guess you would call hives. I was red all around my neck, chest, face and stomach. There was a series of welts that were on my spine where the spider bit me. I itched so bad from head to toe, I was tempted to roll around in my gravel driveway! It totally sucked!

I know EXACTLY where the spider came from. Last wednesday I was up at the mouth of Euclid Creek on Lake Erie trying for steelies, and I was sitting on the limestone rock breakwall. I saw 2 spiders that looked exactly like this. They matched the color of the limestone almost perfectly. With me, I had my tackle bag, which had all the compartments open. Not coincidentally, my tackle bag was 6 feet away from the hamper that I grabbed the sweatshirt from. Seems I had a stowaway!

The spider itself had a legspread of around 3 inches or so. The body was about the size of a nickel. The spider had a sleek look to it, and had a very low and spread out profile. Again, it was a grayish tan, like the color of limestone almost. Was this a type of poisonous recluse? Or did I just have an allergic reaction to a non-poisonous spider?

Anyways, after about 2 or 3 hours, the itching and redness went away, and the swelling receded, except for my eyes, which remained puffy into this afternoon. At no point was my breathing affected or did I ever feel ill. In fact, I felt great, except for the itching. All signs are gone now and I am curious if anyone has any ideas of which kind of spider so viciously attacked me! :rolleyes:

2. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I have no idea what kind of spider it was, but I was always under the impression that all spiders are poisionous to an extent only most of them don't carry enough to even aggrivate a human unless they are allergic to it. Sounds to me like that is the more likely event b/c I would figure that a recluse would be more severe and I have heard that there bites and poision are very painful.

3. AndroDoug

Yeah, maybe I should have said non-poisonous to humans. That is what I meant. I know all spiders are poisonous to their prey, but to us only a couple are. I am just curious if it was a recluse or something else that is considered a dangerous spider.

4. I am not a doctor but from previous expierences I would take benedril (sp) as soon as you begin to feel those symptoms.

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I doubt it was a recluse, usually their bites are associated with a halo around them. watch the bites carefully and seek treatment if anything looks wrong.

6. try enature.com it has picture of spiders maybe youl see it in there.

7. I guess it could have been a recluse, both brown and mediterranean recluses are found in Ohio and can be colored as you describe. I don't think that they get nearly as big as you described though.

My first thought was a yellow sac spider but that was before I read your full description. Yellow sac spiders are small.

It might be a huntsman spider, I think that one fits your description best. Those aren't native but they find their way to Ohio. Check out the pics at http://www.floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Heteropoda_venatoria#photos and see if they look like the culprit.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

doesn't sound like a recluse spider,or bite.though they aren't common in ohio,they do exist.a man was killed by one about 5 years ago,around nettle lake.
    from the description of the spider and bite,it sounds more like a wolf spider,or another type,and you had an extreme reaction to it.

9. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I am not trying to scare you and I am in no way an expert on this. I have read before that these things can seem to get better and then come back with a vengence!! It would be wise if you went to get checked out just as a precaution.

10. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

THE ONLY GOOD SPIDER IS A DEAD SPIDER!!!

Subject: Brown Recluse Spider Bite #2

The following illustrates the progression of a brown recluse spider bit.
    Just as a warning, day 3-6 photos are not too graphic. However, day 9
    and 10 are very graphic. Your discretion is advised if you choose to view.
    The final picture is the most important as it contains a picture of the
    actual spider. Please be careful, spider bites are dangerous and can have
    permanent and highly negative consequences.

FYI - They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or
    other areas that might not be frequented by people or light. If you have a
    need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on
    for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work.

[​IMG]
    Day 3
    [​IMG]
    Day 4
    [​IMG]
    Day 5
    [​IMG]
    Day 6

[​IMG]
    The Brown Recluse Spider.

MODERATOR'S EDIT - I removed the last two images of the spider bite, as they are a bit too graphic. Hook & Book - you may provide a link to these images if you'd like, but you may not post the actual graphics in in-line view. Thanks.

11. Wow! Those are some nasty pictures. I imagine you guys about have Doug scared to death.:eek: I agree that you better watch the bite area very closely and watch for any other symptoms. And of course seek prompt medical attention if anything shows up. I have heard of a few brown recluse bites over the years. Those are the first pictures that I have ever seen. I assume this guy was seeking medical attention throughout this?

12. Dang dud thats looks bad!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Glad I didn't eat any breakfast.......

14. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Mrfishohio said "Glad I didn't eat any breakfast......."
    I was when I saw the pictures....... OATMEAL!!!!!! :eek:

15. AndroDoug

Oh man, this is too funny! (not for that guy though) According to the pictures, it was NOT a recluse. It didn't really look like that. I somehow thought recluses looked torantula-like. This spider I saw had to be at least a little common on the Erie shore as I saw two while I was there and one that hitched the ride. It had minute hairs and was grayish like a stone. He looked like the color of a rock. It had a leg spread of 2-3 inches and was rock-hugging low profile. It kind of looked like a flat version of the spiders that make those funnel web things in bushes and corners.

Either or, I am thankfully fine. The bite area is almost gone, just a little red and itchy. I'll chalk this one up to story-telling time. I was a little concerned for about an hour, but like I said, I didn't feel in any danger because I was only itching and swelling. I wish I would have caught it now, so I could indentify him. But he was dismembered in the various treads of my boot!

And THANKS ALOT! Now I am going to be checking my back 6 times a day for weeks! That bite that guy has is unbelievable. I never want to run into one of those!

16. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Sounds like a Wolf Spider....they can give a nasty bite and make you sick. I have seen tons of them around the waters edge.

Mitch

17. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

about once a year a wolf spider, although small, usually decided to attack me in the sleep. i usually wake up with a line of welt marks. not fun

18. We get a ton of the wolf spiders around our house this time of the year, both inside and out. I don't know that I have been bitten by one ever though. Then again when I see them they don't get much chance to bite me.;) Spiders are the one creature I can't stand.

When we were putting an addition on our house, they had the one wall exposed to the crawl space and outdoors for a few days at about this time of the year. I could not believe the number of the wolf spiders that I killed in a week's time. In the evening I would get up from the couch at about each commercial break and go on the hunt. I would get 3 or 4 each time it seemed.:eek: These buggers were so big that you could see them creeping across the kitchen floor from the living room 30 feet away!

19. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

they like to sneak up on you while you're sleeping :rolleyes:
    my wife complained the other day about some welts and soreness on her arm,which i guessded to be from a spider bite in the night.
    i've awakened many mornings over the years,with a sore face and eye swollen shut,from those sneaky spider attacks.