What kind of leader do you use?

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by Snakecharmer, Apr 11, 2008.

1. In the past, I have used mainly 7 strand steel 6-12 inches for casting and 18-24 inches for trolling. Usually black. I was checking out a catalogue and saw titanium leaders for $8-12 which is more than some of my bucktails. Plus they have fluorcarbon leaders $5-7...

Any thoughts on color - black, nickel or red?
    7 strand vs titanium vs fluorcarbon?

My only problem with the steel leaders is an occasional kink but you can discard a lot of kinked leaders for $12.....

2. Cutt'em Jack

Cutt'em Jack Musky Madman

Snakecharmer,
    I make my own leaders. I mainly use 100 pound flouro, 12 inches and single strand 174 pound jerkbait leaders, 12 inches. I don't troll so I have no need for a longer leader.

3. The good leaders are pretty expensive. I went through quite a few fishing WB last year so I invested in a crimper and some sleeves. I made some 3' ones out of Yozuri HD pink 100# but they haven't really been tested yet to give you a report. They cost about $1 to make and wire ones would be even cheaper.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

I buy all of my trolling leaders from www.thornebros.com
    80lb flouro trolling leaders with Stringease snaps. $5 a pop, but top quality. I go through only a couple a year.

5. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I make my own too. Use 80lb fluorocarbon and sleeves/crimper. 12inches for casting, 3-4 feet for trolling.

Brian

6. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

I make and sell these (a heck of a lot cheaper than $8)...have been making them for years. Twist Weld 7 strand SS with Sampo bearing swivels. Never crimped, always wrapped...I've had crimped ones come undone on me. I know alot of guys who like to use the florocarbon leaders too. I have found little difference in the success ratio between floro and steel leaders. They all work pretty well, so its an issue of who prefers what.
    [​IMG]

7. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

Iam with shutupnfish I make the same leaders and have not had one fail yet.