What kind of fish were these?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ShorePup, Jul 16, 2008.

1. I was fishing a stocked pay lake a couple weeks ago. I was in an pond that as a known catfish producer. It was about 3 in the afternoon when I saw two or three fish fins that were bluish sticking out of the water, probably going after bait fish in shallow areas? They were swimming in tight circles with bluish fins out of the water and in the middle of the pond away from obvious structure. Actually there were two or three sets of these fish. Both the dorsal fin and tail were that blusih color and they seemed to be about a foot in length. This went on for about an hour. So what could they have been? I tried researching ODNR a little but most of what I thought didn't seem to describe them or thier midday behavior. As for the pond, it was a little high due to recent rains with lots of baby blue gills at the edges.
    Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

2. pizza

pizza

perhaps large gizzard shad? white bass? hybrid striped bass?

3. giant Hybrid blue gill-walleye. They call the WallGills.
    that's a joke...

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

My guess would be that they were grass carp. Did the dorsal fin look like the one in this picture:

nevermind.....I can't get the pic to work?

CG

5. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

It looks nothing like that kyle. The pic that is.

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

........................ :p .............................

7. I used to fish a stocked pay lake for cats in South Carolina. The lake had eels in it from the catfish stockings. People would catch them all the time.

8. probly large shad, they look blueish in the water and they do weird things ;)

9. I'm guessing grass carp, too. They do the same things in my pond as you described.
    Tim