Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often drove across the sandusky bay on Rt 2 It's a big body of water and looks deep. But what hind of fish could a person expect to catch there?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lots of cats! And sheep's! There are also white bass and largemouth and maybe some eyes but probably won't catch many in summer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have often drove across the sandusky bay on Rt 2 It's a big body of water and looks deep. But what hind of fish could a person expect to catch there?
In that area the bay is very shallow. Recall that is the entrance to the Sandusky river going west. Agreed catfish very small perch scrap sheep grass carp. Further east of the railroad bridge bass perch and crappie.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have hooked onto northern pike years ago. I have also heard of muskies in the weedy bays...perhaps more in the spring. The I fished there as a youngster we primarily targeted perch from the boat and channel cats from shore. But there is a large variety in the bay.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’ve always wondered too when I cross it to ice fish off Catawba. I see a few huts out there now and again. And for whatever reason Ive seen coyotes wandering around on the ice in that area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I greatly appreciate all the reports I am hearing. I am going to have to make it up there and try it out. It's an hour drive for me to get there, But I think it would also be a lot calmer waters there on high wave days out on the lake. Are there places where you can cross under Route 2 to go from the north to the south waters? Thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Route 2 bridge is rather easy to cross under. The old ConRail bridge is a lift type bridge and you have to wait for the operator if you want to go out of the bay if you don't fit under. 12' aluminum might make it but then again the water levels are much higher than years ago. In the 90's we had to wait for the trains coming and we were in a 18' Starcraft holiday. Not a real tall boat. Last time I crossed under the train bridge it was like a 30 min wait. Was a very busy bridge back then. Don't know about now or if you can even get by. I think you should wait for a calmer day and just fish Lake Erie for perch and walleye. Any catfish, drum or bullheads from the bay are not recommended to eat unless ODNR changed the warnings. But why would you eat those fish from the bay anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm Just wanting a good place to fish and catch & release. It's good to know that ODNR doesn't reccomend eating the fish from there. Thanks knd

·
Registered
960 Posts
I will Eat the fish from the bay
What’s the difference from an eye on the lake
Eat any burger from a fast food chain

But I would rather eat a catfish sandwich from the bay all of it will get ya

·
Registered
452 Posts
I looked up the advisory... It used to be no fish from Sandusky Bay. Now it is one 4 ounce portion per month. Catfish, bass, drum and perch. Personally I wouldn't eat any fish from the bay. It is the contaminants in the mud. Cats, carp, drum all live down in the mud digging bugs , crawfish leeches etc. Mercury and PBC transferred to those fish. We take out the lateral line, all dark meat and all fat off of our walleye meat. But you eat what you want...kinda like smoking. I don't smoke but you go ahead.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,005 Posts
It is very shallow around the route 2 bridge. I'm not sure even in high water there is 10 fow unless it has been dredged for a channel. Closer to Sandusky and LE it is dredged and has some deeper slots.
Rickerd

·
Angry hillbilly
1,410 Posts
I think he is referring that the lake is not south toward the little muddy! Go north and u will find Erie with a some east involved!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts