close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind of critter did I see today?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Jul 10, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

While fishing LaDue reservoir today, in southern Geauga county in NE Ohio, I saw 3 little weasel things running around on the dam. I had seen one once before on the dam about 2 months ago, and I thought it was a young otter. I know there are otters in the area as my grandma used to live in Mantua on Eagle creek and there was a family of otters there when I was a kid and we'd play on their mudslide into the creek. Ladue is not far from there.

Well today I got a better, closer look. These were not young otters. All 3 were the same size and about a foot long or so. Maybe 16 inches if the tail was longer than it looked. I would say they were the size of a ferret. They were dark brown, and had a tail maybe 6 inches long. They were definately a weasel type animal. They were cute and running all up and down and through the limestone boulders the dam consisted of. I even threw a rubber worm up oin a rock right by one of the guys and he rushed right over to it and momentarily picked it up! I did not dare to set the hook! (THAT would be a fun release!)

My guess would be a mink or a weasel, or maybe a marten. But I did not think any of these creatures lived in Ohio. If they do, they most undoubtadely have to be rare.

Any ideas?

With the success I am having trapping groundhogs this past week in my backyard (see other posts in lounge), I could go after these guys too and maybe start up a fur pelt business! :rolleyes:

2. There are mink in Ohio for sure. I think your choices are mink, otter or long tail weasel. Those are the only things I can think of here that fit the description.

Steve

3. Probably a weasel. I have seen them many times at Mogadore.

4. They were mink, which are very common in Ohio. There are some weasels in Ohio, but they aren't that common, plus they're much smaller than a mink, maybe about 8" long or so. They were most likely young of the year mink which would explain why there were three of them and so curious. A lot of fun to watch.

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

If it wasn't mink, then it may have been muskrat.

6. They were Minks and they aint easy to trap if you do not know what you are doing.
    I have caught minks that streach out over 36 inches a few times but most of them streach out to about 24 inches or so.
    You are not going to get rich trapping Mink Pelts. last year 20.00 was tops on most Minks and a Jumbo would bring in 30.00.

7. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

One time when Rob and I were loading our boat at West Branch (the eastern ramp), I saw.. what looked like a ferret running around the launch ramp and then onto the rocks. It was solid black, very spunky, playful and curious. I assumed that it was a pet ferret that got loose.. but maybe I was wrong?

8. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Last night I did some searches for weasel type animals. I looked at a bunch of pictures and I have come to the conclusion it was a mink. It was solid dark brown all over. Weasels have a lighter under side, and ermines have a white under side. Otters are too big, fishers aren't found here, and Martens are very rare and slightly bigger and nocturnal. It was most definately a mink. I have never seen a wild weasel animal in the wild before, except for otters. It was kinda neat. I guess since I have never seen one before is why I thought they weren't in Ohio. What was I thinking? I guess I think the world revolves around me and what I think. If I have never seen it, it doesn't exsist, I guess! :rolleyes:

9. It could have been either or. Mink ar more common in ohio, but there are a few different kinds weasels around here.

10. Again, weasels are MUCH smaller than mink. Nowhere near 16" in length.

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

weird that you bring this up because fishing up at the long wall at headlands i saw one running around the rocks and i thought someones pet got loose. never saw one before, i thought it was a ferret

12. Hell, that was probably just a giant lake Erie rat ;)

Steve

13. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

if thats the case it was the cutest, cuddliest rat i ever saw. :D ;)

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I've seen them at Caesar's Creek Lake too.

15. I see mink running the shoreline and rip-rock at Hoover in the mornings on a regular basis. They are fun to watch. I've been seeing beaver alot too. In the morning and the evening's. I was so close to a beaver last week, after sundown, that I could hear him chewing the bark off of cottonwood limbs. I thought it was a stump at the shore line. You gotta' love nature!!!

16. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

to big for a weasle, WAY to small for an otter......they were mink