Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chased this little dude all over the yard today trying to get some pics. weirdest bird i have ever seen! it ran like a chicken but once you quit chasing it he would get real mellow and would almost walk right up to you. i live in the inner city so this is a really rare thing to see. :confused:

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I went to my Audubon Field Guide for Birds and it's something called a "Sora". The pic in the field guide is EXACT.

Looks like it's a migratory rail of some sort. Ranges all across Canada, Winters in Virginia. Pretty rare sight for around here.

Here's a description from the USGS

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/Infocenter/i2140id.html

·
Multi-Species Fanatic
1,814 Posts
Pretty neat bird, definately not a common sight. Of course, seeing a person running around with a camera chasing a bird running around - thats not a common sight either! :D

I'm somewhat into birding after seeing a thread on here a year or two back - members were showing off their feeders. I learned a lot from that thread and really enjoy the diversity of the birds. I haven't really drawn anything that cool or interesting in yet...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Big Daddy nailed it Sora Rail

·
Registered
571 Posts
yep coots are black and have a different foot to paddle with---thier bill is white---we have lots of em in the black river

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Man, dink and I were like "What the heck is that?" It was jsut odd seeing this thing. It kept running into the steps or side of the house. This thing had really neat colors to it.

·
Enjigneer
1,369 Posts
Hmmm, a Sora Rail. I've never seen, never eaten one of those; it's on my list though. That and a Gallinule. I have had a Wilson's Snipe I shot in MN. Thanks for the pics, now that I know what they look like maybe I'll bag me a limit of 25 next September............. Sure I will.

·
Registered
749 Posts
pretty cool, I've never seen one. I have seen, but not shot snipe. Now I'd like to see a Gallinule.....Maggo how did the Snipe taste? Like muck?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've seen a few snipe in the fall around my pond and we have shot a few timberdoodles around the thickets. Some have been pretty decent, meat was not as dark as some others we have cooked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts