Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a remington 7mm mag. I think model 770. He will be hunting antelope later this year and has never shot the rifle. Anyone have experience with this gun and some ammo? What ammo does everyone recommend? Thanks

·
Fishing Fool
283 Posts
Look for something in the 140 grain range, and something that expands quickly. Antelope are fairly thin and you don't need thick jacketed bullets for them. Maybe some ballistic tipped rounds from Winchester or Hornady.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would say the same something in the 150gr range, but more importantly something that groups well in your gun, a buddy of mine shoots bullets up to 175grs in his 700.

·
Registered
101 Posts
just remember if you are planning to mount this animal and use a ballistic tip round out of the 7mm damage may be extensive loaned mine 7x300 weatherby to a friend loaded with 168 gr hornady bullets and new cape was needed after a 350 yard shot was hit in the front part of the shoulder

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. We may try Federals loaded with Barnes Expanders. The Barnes bullets have been great on deer out of a shotgun and muzzleloader. They have them in the 140 grain size. They always expand great and knock whatever you hit with it for a loop. Hopefully they group in his gun. Anymore info would still be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm with littleking ; try something on the lighter side going up to maybe 140, but no more, unless the light loads won't group well. I have seen several goats dropped with 95 grain .243 loads , but my favorite is a ballistic tip 125 grain 30-06. Never had one take a step after being hit. The most important thing is that they group well & to practice as much as practical. Every gun has a different personality so shoot different loads until you find one that works for you.
T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts