close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind of 12-14 ft boat to go with

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 18, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm trying to sell or trade a caouple guns that I havent used or dont need, got a couple on consigbnment even, what I'm not sure of yet, is what to buy.

I'm looking at a 12 or 14 ft boat mainly used on river such as the Great Miami or Scioto to get to point A to point B, then bank fish from point B. I'll be looking at electric only or electric & something like a 5 HP. I've been looking @ Pelican boats. WOuld that hard plastic frame have any disadvanagtes? What about durability. would it hold up agaisnt brushes w/ logs, the bank, etc... Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Bryan

2. H2O Mellon

No body has any info? What teh heck, I've never seen it this quite! :p

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I say anything that floats would do..how about a rubber raft..LOL...i CANT GET MY jON BOAT LICENSED....The guy wants it back........How about a jon boat from walmart?

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I'd go with a 14', I had a 14" Lowe Line, it was an early 70's model I think, maybe a 1974 with a '77 20 hp Merc, it would run 26 MPH. Anyhow, it was tough as nails, I had a 12' alum before it, and there was no comparison. Now, for the way you intend to just run a little, maybe the 12' will work out okay, but it was almost like being in a canoe, tipsy, the 14' was way more stable, it was alot heavier too.

5. I would go with a 12' or 14' aluminum boat, you can find pretty cheap ones in local news papers, for you needs one specific brand should not matter as long as it floats and don't leak. Should be able to find one for 200-500 dollars good Luck!
    Jaosn

Oh Yeah! Dicks or BPS has minn kota 30 or so lb thrusts for a lil under $100, cant go wrong there for that little of a boat.

6. I've been looking for the same type of boat...something small I can use on the many 10hp state lakes. I really like a fiberglass boat...I find they dampen out more noise and also stay cooler to the touch on a really hot day than aluminum. The closest thing I've found so far is the Carolina Skiff J12 (12' fiberglass jon boat with foam core). www.carolinaskiff.com

7. I have a friend who has a 12' Smokercraft. This was purchased new in 2000 by me. The boat features 4 rod holders, battery 30# thrust trolling motor, hummingbird wide optic, & all accessories. $700.00 Cleveland area.

8. H2O Mellon