close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What it's all about!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishymcgoo, Sep 7, 2008.

1. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

2. Exactly. When you take kids, you want them to catch fish. Good job putting them into some nice bucketmouths!

3. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

farm ponds are great for kids. throw a worm or a minnow out and you are bound to get at least a bluegill. my daughter even caught her first fish with an artificial. the bass was only about double the size as the rapala:)
    [​IMG]

4. iteech

iteech Shebasser

...than get a kid "hooked" on fishing. I have two grandsons about the same age (11), and one of them is a wild-eyed fisherman--he wants to go day and night--and the other one really doesn't like it. So when I have them both together (which is every time), and my crazy-for-fishing little guy wants to go--then we go. After all, I love it too--two against one! But I was always distressed at how much the other one hated going...he'd never fish, just walk around and look bored. So I got a flash of inspiration...this last time we went, I told George I'd give him a dollar for every tiny bluegill he caught for me--I use them whole for LMB bait. I specified size, and gave him the rod and bait. I also placed him in a "particular" spot. He was interested in getting money, so he fished--and got me two teeny 'gills, which I caught a nice LMB on. :) He was tiring by then, so I kept hoping my plan would kick in soon...and it did. He called to me "I'm stuck, Nana!"--but I could tell by the line movement he wasn't stuck--he had something huge. I kept shouting instructions till I got around the pond...then I just coached him--"that's it, honey...rod tip DOWN, George! Let him run, sweetie--OK now take up the slack--quick!..." and soon he was laughing and shouting--and oh, I wanted to grab that rod so bad, I was so afraid he'd lose it--but I knew he needed to bank it himself. And after about 5 exhilarating (tiring!) minutes, he did. Biiiig cat, probably 12-15 pounds. He was delirious, shouting to strangers to come see his fish--he was beside himself with joy. (We got pics but I have no idea how to put them on here). On the ride home, he very solemnly starts telling the fisherman-grandson: "well Blake, see, this is how you get the big one in...", and just yesterday he says to me--"Nana, I think we should go back and see if I can catch that big catfish again, don't you?" And I said "oh, we'll see--if it's nice this coming weekend, I'll think about it." winkwinkwink :p