close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is your strangest catch

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Walter Adkins, May 18, 2005.

1. We have all caught a species while targeting another. I was just wondering what is the weirdest or strangest species that you have caught here in Ohio. I once caught a 15" gold fish on a bass assin soft jerk bait in the Big Darby.

2. I once caught a 18 3/4 Smallmouth Bass on the Mahoning River, using a 3-way rig on the Mahoning River, tightlining with cut gizzard shad looking for catfish. Talk about that smallie jumping with the sinker lead hanging out of its mouth. Good Times!

3. I once caught a 4 pound goldfish during a carp tournment and convinced them to count it.

4. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

mine wasn't a "live" catch but back years ago i was fishing a bass tourney at dillon resevoir and while throwing a crank bait i hooked something that i was sure would either win the tourney or get me the largest fish award.this "fish"kept diving and fighting and the guy in the front of the boat was ready with the net and giving me the "don't horse him" advice.well,when my "catch" finally made it to the surface it ended up being a 1"x6" board about 2ft long! i had hooked it right in the middle which made it dive even deeper when i tried to reel it in.we both had a good laugh about it and so did everyone else at the weigh-in.

5. catking

catking Banned

While crappie fishing with a buddy down in KY, he caught a water snake .. ;) now THAT was a sight to see.............. THE CATKING !!!

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I caught a bat once while fishing, yes a bat! it hit my bait when I casted out and got hooked!

7. Water snakes for sure. I've hooked 2....not fun to unhook. The first one I kind of caught on purpose when I saw it eyeing my crankbait...obviously, I hadn't thought about what I was going to do after I had it hooked :rolleyes: . I've caught a few frogs too which I guess isn't that uncommon but they sure has heck make some strange noises when hooked (I felt bad for the little buggers, glad fish don't make noises like that). I've also snagged a muskrat once, he put up a pretty good fight but eventually threw the hook. Snagged a dead duck once too; that didn't put up much of a fight :p

Steve

8. WoW! Catching a bat must be almost as bad, as having a Heron crap on your lap. :D JACKSON!

'jeffmo' Nice Work on the Plywood Fish.

I've had water snakes, feast on panfish that I've kept on a stringer laying in the water.

9. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Caught another fellow fisher man...was fishin a mohawk dam at night for cats some how snaged the line of the guy on the other bank....we fought back and forth for about 2 min. till we figured out what was goin on...my buddy kept saying "that guy over there's got one too"

10. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Funny stuff guys. I caught one of those big ol' orange plastic lobsters you see on the wall at Red Lobster while flipping a jig in a tourny once on the Ohio River. Full of mud and crud it was heavy. Tried to weigh it in but it was a no go!! :rolleyes: And a lawn chair at Brookville Lake once. Go figure?
    Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  11. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

A large mud puppy from a creek. We have also caught t-shirts, fishing pole, and a pair of sunglasses.

12. A Power Ranger action figure.

13. I once caught a sea gull at Turkeyfoot! As I was casting, he took it right out of the air. It's like landing/flying a kite. Talk about something hard to get off the hook:D !!!!!

14. Trolling at Tappan and hooked into an old pair of scuba goggles. Thought I had the new record saugeye on and kept yelling "Get the net up here and grab this monster" until I lifted it out of the water and found I had hooked them through the strap that went around your head. Man did those things fight though.... :rolleyes:

Also watched a buddy do the "hook up with the neighbor" across a cove at Salt Fork one night. Fishing across the cove, and we weren't using lights catfishing. Guy hooked my buddies line, and the baitrunner started going steady. After missing two fish already that night, he gives it the 'ol homerun hookset, and the unknowing guy across the cove just about fell into the lake. Knocked his lantern down and his tackle box tumbled into the water. Buddy still didn't know what was going on so of course we encouraged him to keep fighting the fish..aka guy across the cove...until finally he broke the guys line. The guys across from us had no idea we were there. They kept talking all night about that monster that got away. I laughed until I cryed that night....

Kevin

15. zipperneck52

zipperneck52 fished with Noah

Got a fully loaded coleman lantern from LaDue. Hey, the crappie weren't being very cooperative. :D

16. Caught an 18'' snapping turtle at West Branch one day. Can't remember what on. Also lost a rod over the side on the Ohio two year back and was lucky enough when we backed up river to catch it back.

17. Last summer while out in So Cal with my family my boy and I went out on a near shore fishing trip. We caught a ton of sand bass but the biggest surprise was the pelican that my boy landed.:eek: Those things hung around the boat waiting for discarded bait. apparently this young pelican was not patient enough. That is the only time I have ever had to thumb a pelican.:D

18. Last summer i caught about 3 crankbaits while casting crankbaits below some rapids on a river. Somehow snagged them by the rear treble.

19. Last year steely fishin off Arcola creek I caught a 21'' smallie....huge.....

Also hooked into a 40'' plus musky while crappie fishing at WB...

steely123.

20. catking

catking Banned

" Power Ranger action figure " .............. :D