close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is your favorite outdoor show?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darcy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. What is your favorite area fishing, hunting or outdoor show? I'm taking a survey and would like some input from OGF members. You can comment here, or visit www.cleveland.com/outdoors.

These are the shows that are still to be held. If a show is not on the list, let me know. BTW, Frank Kittrick's popular show will not be held this year.

ALSO, the pride of OGF, Marcia Rubin, is featured this AM in The Plain Dealer.

D'Arcy Egan

Here's a listing of shows yet to be held:

Feb. 23-24: 5th annual Falls Outdoor Sports Show, Emidio's Expo Center, 48 E. Bath Rd., Cuyahoga Falls. Saturday 9 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Admission $5, ages 8-12 $2.

March 1-2: Outdoor Adventure Show, Fairport Rod and Reel Association at the Willowick Middle School, 31500 Royalview Dr., Willowick. Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission $6.

March 2: Sportsmen's Outdoor Gear Flea Market, Columbia Game Club, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Medina County Fairgrounds (East Hall of the Community Center), 701 W. Smith Rd., Medina. Admission $4, women and children free. Call Del Shamp, 440-333-1138.

March 7-9: Spring Outdoor Hunting Show at Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters, Rt. 250 at I-71, Ashland. Spring Turkey Hunting with Paul Butski and Hearing Enhancement Seminar with Bob Walker on Friday, 6:30 p.m.; and Saturday, 1 p.m. Spring Mushroom Seminar with Theresa Maybrier on Friday, 6 p.m., Saturday, 11 a.m., 3 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 p.m.. Call 419-281-2557.

March 8: Spring Fishing Tackle Show and Sale, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Land Big Fish, 333 Manchester Rd., Akron. Call 330-644-8211.

March 12-16: Cleveland Sport, Travel & Outdoor Show, International Expositions Center, Cleveland. Show hours: Wednesday-Friday, noon-9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Call Expositions Inc., 216-529-1300. Visit sportandtravel.com. Admission $10, children 6-12 $5, children 5 and under free. Discount coupons at Drug Mart; discount tickets at AAA locations.

March 13-16: 31st annual Show and Sale, Ohio Decoy Collectors and Carvers Association Decoy Show, Holiday Inn, 100 Crocker Rd., Westlake. Visit odcca.net. Show hours: Friday, 9 a./m.-9 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

March 14-16: Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo, Bricker Building, Ohio Expo Center (Ohio State Fairgrounds), 717 E. 17th Ave, Columbus. Call 1-800-324-3337 or visit www.deerinfo.com. Show hours: Friday (2-9 p.m.), Saturday (9 a.m.-7 p.m.), Sunday (9 a.m.-4 p.m.). Tickets $10; 2-day, $17; Youth 12-18, $7; Youth 6-11, $3.

March 15-16: Spring Tackle Show, The Rodmakers Shoppe, 20884 Royalton Rd., Strongsville. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Fishing tackle maker exhibits, pro bass and walleye fishermen. Call 440-572-0400.

March 15-16: Walleye Fishing Weekend at Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters, Rt. 250 at I-71, Ashland. Seminars by Mark Brumbaugh, Robert Gooding and John Gillman, Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Coyote Hunting Seminars with Peter Brown of Extreme Dimension Wildlife Calls on Saturday, 11 a.m., Sunday at 1 p.m. Call 419-281-2557.

March 21-22: Bass Fishing Weekend at Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters, Rt. 250 at I-71, Ashland. Featured are pro anglers Steve Clapper, Joe Balog, Bill Muirhead and Mike Harris. Friday: Balog at 4 p.m., Clapper at 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Call 419-281-2557 for times.

April 5: Northeastern Ohio Antique Fishing Show, National Fishing Lure Collectors Club, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Galaxy Banquet Center, 201 Park Centre Dr., Wadsworth. Admission $5. Call 330-699-3263.

2. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Darcy.... Sure do miss the old Goodyear Hunting and Fishing Shows, even when they very first moved to Chapel Hill Mall.....I guess that The Cleveland show has to be right up near the top.. Great shows (when they were downtown) in the old Convention Center..............good 2008 outdoor trails to you...........Jon Sr. P.S. Big is good...new is sometimes better.......but old is sometimes, what we love. Thanks...

3. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Darcy, I've enjoyed watching your new show. Right now it's my favorite. I grew up in Michigan, 60's-70's, watching Michigan Outdoors. Best show ever. Can't remember the hosts name (bet you know) but he did all his shows about the natural resources that the state had to offer. There were no $20,000 Moose hunts in Alaska or Florida fishing shows, and such, just shows about all the things that the average resident could take advantage of within the state. That is what I like to see in an Ohio Outdoor program. What can I, and my family, do here, show us that. There is enough outdoor shows about all the things most of us either can't afford or don't have the time to do. Good luck with your program and welcome to this site.

4. The two that I'll probably hit are the IX center sport & travel show (family tradition although it ain't what it used to be) and the Falls outdoor sports show (largly becuaes it's close to home).

To add to a previous comment. I love your show becuase it's local and highlights Ohio's outdoor activities. I started zippering my walleye becuase I saw it on your show. Keep up the good work!! I only wish there were more episodes. I'd love to see some ice fishing and places to stay (highlights from the islands, state parks, and other fishing/hunting friendly places).

5. silver shad

silver shad The Walleye Troll

It use to be the sport show . We would go both weekends but not its bad.So I would have to say the boat show for the seminars.

6. The best sportsman show that I have been to is the MUCC Show in Novi, MI, (Detroit Area). There are guides from LK Erie, LK Michigan and Lk Huron along with the Canadian outfitters. They just seem to tickle darn near every soft spot I have. That show is the last weekend of Feb. I dont have the link but I am sure it can be found looking up the Michigan United Conservation Club. I fine group that seems to help the Michigan sportsman.

7. Fish2day

Fish2day member

#1. Outdoor Adventure Show, Fairport Harbor Rod and Reel Association,
    #2. 5th annual Falls Outdoor Sports Show.

Thanks for listing all the shows. There are a couple I didn't know about. Also, thanks for all you do to promote outdoor sporting in Ohio.

8. ill go to the ix show just out of tradition haaa same as the previous comment. but i totally agree its not near what it used to be when i was younger. it almost seems a waste of my parking money and entrance money but its tradition...i like the falls show also.....i really enjoy your show darcy. i agree with the rest of the guys its great to see a ohio show.

9. Falls outdoor show for me. IX is getting too corney. Unless you like all the booth's that have absolutly nothing to do with the outdoors!

10. My favorite show has always been the outdoor show in Harrisburg Pa. You can spend a whole day there and never see everthing. Large crowds all day everyday. I have seen on off days people standing a hundred deep just waiting to get in. They know how to put on a great show there. Most the ones in northeastern ohio fall short of covering the real needs of most people.

11. I am done wasting my time and money at the local shows.

12. Darcy, My favorite at this time would be the 5th Annual Falls Outdoor Sports Show. But I have not been to the FHRRA Outdoor Adventure Show. I plan on attending it this year. Sportsmen's Outdoor Gear Flea Market, Columbia Game Club, is also a good deal. They don't have the seminars and things that the others do though, and it's only a one day event. I won't go to the IX Center show anymore as it is to costly for both the visitor and the vendor. No good deals on tackle like we got years ago. And the parking fee sucks. I don't want to buy a parking place just rent it for a day. I think the parking should be included with the price of admission.

13. The Falls Outdoor/Vic's show in Cuyahoga Falls has been one of the best around. Jim/Tom have done a great job with it, and it offers a wide varitey. Fishing, hunting, travel/charters, boats and even more. Great tackle deals and some very species specific items too. It has my vote for #1.

The FHRRA Show last year was a blast! I think it's going to grow back to its former glory. I've gone to more than a few up there and like the steelhead stuff. This year is going to be special, for sure.

The IX Center sportsmens show has really fallen off... It's tough to compare it to years gone by too, as the whole business has changed. I hope they can do something to attract the fishermen back as a destination rather than a way to kill an afternoon.

14. Hey, y'all . . .

Thanks so much for the comments . . . great job!

D'Arcy Egan

15. I like the Outdoor show at the columbus fair grounds. The Falls Outdoor Sports Show is also another great show. Both are well worth the price. The IX center show is no longer worth the drive to me.

16. Dixie Chicken

Dixie Chicken I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!

Just want to say thanks to D'Arcy Egan for printing his results to this survey in Friday 02/22/08 Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Very nice article and it helps keep these types of shows going.

Thanks again D'Arcy!!

Dixie Chicken

17. As usual, Rick and Judi Henninger were slow to get out the news about their annual show, the Niles Sportsman's Fishing & Hunting Super Show and Sale. The show is NEXT WEEKEND (Feb. 29-March 2) at the Eastwood Expo Center in Niles.

Also coming up is the 2d annual Vermilion Outdoor Sports Flea Market on March 29 at German Villa (3330 Liberty Ave.) on the east side of Vermilion.

If y'all ever wonder what's coming up int he wonderful world of hunting and fishing, just dial in the Outdoor Calendar on www.cleveland.com/outdoors. Keeping it updated is almost a full-time job.

Was delighted to check in with BASS this morning and find Charlie Hartley of Grove City leading the Bassmasters Classic. Fished with Charlie on Lake Fork in Texas a while back, and he's an outstanding fisherman. And he deserves the success, nailing a spot in the Classic by taking the points title on the Southern Open circuit. It's a difficult way to make the Classic, and all of us Ohio guys like to see one of our own take it to VanDam and company.

And, of course, Marcia Rubin is climbing in the standings in the Women's Bass Tournament Championship, moving up to eighth on Friday with a nice second-day catch. She's got a big hill to climb, though, to catch the leaders. Took a photo of her and Ray Halter at The Rodmakers Shoppe for last week's Plain Dealer. I do believe she's just a little cuter than Ray. But he's an outstanding bass angler, too, and had some excellent advice and a few lures for her for take to the tournament.

D'Arcy

18. c75

c75

I gotta agree with you guys on some of these issues....I pretty much only go to these things if I need to buy something or am just killing an afternoon.

The deal of getting dinged with the parking on top of the tick price is definitely gotten old...

My knock on these as of the last few years, is I haven't seen the dynamite deals on things I did in the past...I know what stuff costs, and a deal when I see one, but I haven't seen much of the deals that have me scrambling around for my wallet..

Boat show was nice, as I found a deal there.....

19. have not been to any of those shows...since I live in the Dayton area I don't always get the time to road trip. However, the Dayton show this year (Dodge show) was almost a complete waste of money. Had it not been for Jeff and Diana from Parkside Marine in Brookville, it really would have been a waste. That being said, if you are in the market for a boat it's maybe worth the trip. But they had NO tackle, rods or any kind of gear at all, just boats.

Plan to get to Indy because that is a really good show, usually spend too much money there :D