close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TIGHTLINER, Apr 14, 2005.

1. What is wrong with me?

All winter I could not wait for the weather to break, for springtime to get here, so that I could wade the shorelines in pursuit of early season crappies, hit the white bass run, monster catfish, and spend countless nights on the river with close friends and family. It’s the Fourteenth Day of April; The weather has finally broke, I haven’t purchased my fishing license yet, and I have only gone fishing at a private pond with the girlfriend once this past Sunday because she wanted to go so bad. So we rigged up some pin-men tipped with wax-worms under a bobber and caught Blue Gill after Blue Gill. All of my equipment is all cleaned organized and ready to go, but for some reason I can’t motivate myself to get out there and get going. Before I know it spring is going to be gone and the dog days of summer are going to be here and I am going to have had missed out on something that was always so important in my life. I really wish I knew what was going on. The only thing that I can attribute it to is the enormous amount of school-work that Kent State University is yielding down upon me, the fact that I turned 21 years old, and the fact that I recently acquired a beautiful new girlfriend. Any suggestions? Is this a normal phase? Will I ever recover? What’s the chances of me getting motivated enough to get out onto the water before May 1, 2005?

2. General rule

New girlfriend = less fishing

Old wife = more fishing

3. Yeah, there does seem to be a cause for concern here. One, is your new girlfriend really that beautiful? The key word in this question is NEW because there is nothing like a fresh catch but you must remember grasshopper, it will get old after while, not that you won't have feelings for her, but it will still get old regardless of what any of these Romeos on here tell you. The school work should have nothing to do with your fishing routine. However, being that you just turned 21, are you drinking a lot? If not, why not?

Just from what you said, I am not that alarmed but my advice would be to set aside about 5 hours one day (regardless of weather) in the next week or so in advance and do not break your committment to this time slot. Take yourself, and your fishing gear, a good buddy (male), and about two suitcases of beer to the most isolated fishing spots you know of and enjoy. If this doesn't feel good then let me know and I can come up there and pull you out of your girlfriend's butt.

4. I think maybe Rooster hit the nail on the head.;) Although you mentioned she is the one that drug you out fishing so she may be a real keeper. I have been with my wife for 17 years now and she has only gone a couple of times with me fishing...and it certainly was not her idea.:rolleyes: I do envy those guys with a fishing partner for a spouse.

5. LOL

Classic

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

here is an offer for you ..........i want you to show me how to catch cook and clean snappers i want to try it and was planning on doing it anyways and if you can take the ????? out of it all the better ....it will get you out by the lake thats 1/2 the battle some times........let me know .........jim

7. I hear what you're saying Tightliner, all girlfriend jokes aside. If I could press a button and magically appear on the water I would fish 365 days a year. But all of the bull that goes along with it can really get you down. I drive over 1000 miles a week for a living. Then my days off come and what do I do? Hook up the boat and head 100 miles somewhere to fish. The simple act of hooking up the boat can land you in the hospital (but we won't go there). Then you go to the gas station and put a mortgage payment into the boat and truck tanks. Then off to the bait shop where you wait in line only to find out that they sold the last of their minnows to the guy in front of you. But they'll have more tomorrow, like that does you any good. Then you're off to the launch ramp where you wait patiently 80th place in line. Then the guy facing the wrong way that you've been wondering what the heck he's doing cuts in front of you when your turn finally arrives. So now you're in handcuffs and bond is set at $250,000.

So you see, there is nothing wrong with you. Fishing just isn't worth it. NOT!!! :D

8. You just need a good ol fishin buddy to party with, drink with, hang-out with, spend endless hours on the lake or river with, to tell bigger fishin story's with, you know, someone to keep you in the groove. sounds to me like your slippin man ! to hell with the light man... walk towards the water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im 23 and exactly opposite of you LOL fishing gets me into trouble. none of my buddies can keep up with me. my girl is great also and expecting our first child, she lets me get away with murder when it comes to fishin. maybe the 4 of us should get together and wet a line. we can fish and the ladies can keep each other entertained if they get bored.

9. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I've been through this before, generally it has to do with finding something new and exciting. Your new girlfriend is probably the culprit, but there is nothing wrong with that. Another thing, that really got me, was moving (which college may of involved for you ) and no longer being near your old fishing buddies... I just moved to SW Ohio and went through just that, add on maybe being in a new area and having difficulty finding fish whereas before you caught them with ease anywhere you went starts to turn you off to fishing. I had this happen to me last year.

If your anything like me, or any other guys, you'll come back to your old ways in no time.

10. I had that problem when i was 21..the old testosterone takes over your mind an ya just dont think straight.FISH BEFORE SEX.....

11. catking

catking Banned

girl Friend .................. ;)

12. You been Twitter Pattered. :D :D :D

13. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

But... he said that it was his girlfriend that dragged him out fishing the one time that he did go!
    Tightliner.. was this just a "one time thing?" for her, or does she truly love to fish?
    How long has she been your "new" girlfriend? Is she the "Jealous" type?
    We all know that during certain times of the year that we all tend to obsess on fishing, and doing it as much as we possibly can... or get away with ;)
    All I can say is that I'm sure glad that I don't have a spouse sitting at home and feeling resentful about all of the time that I devote towards fishing. I'm talking on and off the water. When I'm not actually fishing... I'm thinking about fishing, reading about fishing/lakes/techniques, fantasy shopping for fish/boat accessories, typing about fishing...etc... Its a huge part of my life. It's just part of me.... ingrained.
    I really could never be in a relationship with a person that didn't share in my passion for fishing/boating.
    Marcia

14. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

I know exactly how you feel man, it's hard for me to get out much down here at OU since none of my friends share my love of fishing...like you, I had to drag the girl down to the river with me last night, but it turned out well, and she actually caught a drum on her own. She was really excited and wants to go back, but its just not the same fishin with a girl...You have some great opportunities up around the Kent area in Mogadore and the Portage Lakes,and the bass should be going crazy soon..get at it!

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Easy: Heres is what you do:

#1.) Drop Out Of School

&

#2.) Kick the g/f to the curb (trsut me, if you marry her, you'll wish you had)

You'll save all that time preparing for school work & class, so you cna now spend that time sleeping, the free time by dumping the g/f you cna now dedicate to catfishing.

16. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

LOL... You're right JohnBoat.... It's BETTER! :p

17. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Keep it simple stupid. That's what I say to myself all the time. Take one rod and some tackle and go! I carry rods and tackle in my car everywhere. I counted today, ( I keep a log ) I've been fishing 14+ times this year. I do have a wife of 20 years so the thrill is gone there, but you'll get there, just be patient.

18. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I hear ya Justin...

Last Saturday was my first time fishing in 2005, had to stop and get my new license as well. For me it's usually work stress :mad: or some other 'project' distracting me from my fishing. Anyways, I think with a bit warmer weather I will be back at it hardcore.

19. gezzzzzzzz he hasn't even been back to see this thread LMAO
    ...she has stopped it all ... not looking good for our boy

20. Hey Guys, I appreciate the help. I've come to my senses, the girlfriend thing is over, I'm buying my license tomorrow and sunday morning I will be fishing......TightLines!